World-renowned Big Wave Surfer, Guinness SUP World Record Holder, Speaker and adventurer, Chris Bertish, finally announced the details surrounding his groundbreaking expedition, #theSupCrossing this evening at the Two Oceans Aquarium at the V&A Waterfront in Cape Town. The eagerly anticipated expedition will see him attempt the very first solo, SUP transatlantic crossing, unsupported and unassisted, on a custom-made six meter stand up paddle board/craft, for four straight months all in support of charity. Dubbed, the greatest solo, open Ocean Adventure ever attempted, you can be sure that besides helping millions of kids in Africa this will clearly be a journey like no other.
The Sup Crossing will surpass anything Chris has ever attempted before and will see him paddle across 7500 km of open ocean setting off from Morocco, in mid-December 2016 and then finally landing in northern Florida, doing the equivalent of a half-marathon a day for over 120 days straight.
The Sup Crossing is far more than just an adventure, it’s a multi layered project that seeks to change the lives of millions in Africa and South Africa, leaving a lasting legacy and has taken Chris more than 5 years to bring to life. While one of the key objectives of the crossing is to redefine what’s possible by pushing the limits and boundaries of the human body, mind and spirit, the core goal is to create a positive impact and to leave a legacy that raises money for hot meals, life-changing surgeries, and building schools for young children in need throughout South Africa.Chris has selected two charites, each of which will benefit from the groundbreaking sustainable giving initiative linked to the campaign. Working with ‘Signature of Hope’ a trusted, verified and approved NPO and refunder, the initiative will provide long-term funding to help these charities achieve their goals by raising funds through two separate crowdsourcing initiatives, Thundafund and Indiegogo.
The charities that will benefit from the Sup Crossing initiative are,
· The Lunchbox Fund, a Non-Profit Organization that focuses on fostering education via nutrition and providing a daily meal for orphaned and at-risk school children in township and rural areas across South Africa.
· Operation Smile South Africa (OSSA), the initiative that provides free surgeries to children and adults throughout Southern and Central Africa, as well as educational and training opportunities that promote sustainability and self-sufficiency throughout the region.
· ‘Signature of Hope’, to build numerous small schools in areas where there’s a lack of money and facilities for education in and around the South Africa.
Chris comments, “This project has been a huge undertaking to bring into reality and has definitely taken its toll on me personally, but I believe in it with every fibre in my being, that it’s going to have a monumental impact on the lives of millions of children in South Africa and generations to come and leave a legacy and that’s why I’m willing to do whatever it takes, sacrifice what eve is needed to go the distance. I have a great team behind me and with their backing and RSA and all the planning and preparation we’ve put in, add in courage, passion purpose and perseverance and we can achieve anything!”
Aside from supporting charity #TheSupCrossing will also give researchers in South Africa the opportunity to track Chris, his environment and his experiences.
Chris, in his capacity as an official Two Oceans Aquarium Ambassador, will collect data throughout the crossing, which will be used in weekly classes to educate, engage, and inform kids at the Aquarium.
Professor Tim Noakes and the Sports Science Institute of South Africa will also ensure that Chris receives the necessary nutrition and performance advice in the lead up and throughout the crossing. Data will be uploaded by Chris daily, which the Sport Science Institute will assess and review and in turn formulate a full case study which will be used for research by students at the UCT Sports Science department.
Chris will embark on his groundbreaking journey in towards the end of December 2016, proving that, Impossible isn’t a word, it’s just a challenge!
To donate towards the Sup Crossing initiative, go to:
- Thundafund: https://thundafund.com/project/5713042184601600
- Indiegogo: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-sup-crossing–2#/
To follow Chris’ journey click here: http://chrisbertish.com/sup-crossing/
Keep the conversation going with the official hashtag: #theSupCrossing #CarrickWealth
For more details on Chris Bertish visit the following channels:
- Website: http://chrisbertish.com
- Twitter: @chris_bertish
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/chrisbertish/?hl=en
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/OfficialChrisBertish/?fref=nf
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5S71GeFAfmibX9y9zLLpRw