SA Rugby’s Director of Rugby, Rassie Erasmus, and Springbok captain Siya Kolisi lauded the self-belief and courage of the team after the South Africans scored an epic victory over the All Blacks on Saturday morning (SA time) in Wellington.
The Boks rallied back from 12-0 down to beat the world champions by 36-34 in front of a capacity crowd at the Westpac Stadium in the Kiwi capital. It was the most points the All Blacks have ever conceded in New Zealand and South Africa’s first win in New Zealand since 2009.
Erasmus said the players deserve special praise for their courage on defence and execution of the game plan. The home team dominated possession and territory and forced the Boks to make more than 200 tackles during the game.
“The boys showed guts and I’m so glad for them,” said Erasmus.
“We will take this win over the best team in the world and enjoy it, but we will keep our feet firmly on the ground. We will not get ahead of ourselves. We still have a lot of work to do and the All Blacks will be fuming when they come to Pretoria (on 6 October).”
Kolisi said the win was special, given the many in game challenges the team had to face during the match. Both starting centres, Damian de Allende and Lukhanyo Am, left the field with shoulder injuries, while Willie le Roux (fullback) spent 10 minutes in the sin bin after he was yellow carded.
“We kept our focus and we really had belief,” said Kolisi.
11 September 2018
Today, the Standing Committee on Human Settlements adopted its previous minutes from Tuesday, 21 August 2018. These minutes acknowledged the Department of Rural Development and Land Reform’s commitment to transferring Phase 3 of District Six’s human settlement construction mandate to the Provincial Department of Human Settlements. It is unfortunate that the ANC remains indifferent to the people of District Six as it did not support the motion to adopt these minutes.
The ANC’s objection to this motion shows the party’s true colours as putting its own political interests before the rights of the District Six land claimants. This follows after the ANC-led National Government appointed a shoddy tender, namely, Fikile Construction, which abandoned Phase 3 of the District Six Land Restitution Program.
I am counting on Minister Maite Nkoana-Mashabane to make herself available for the Standing Committee on 25 September 2018. The Minister has so far failed to attend the past three Standing Committees, and I trust that she will finally come to terms with her duty, as outlined by the Constitution, to deliver to the people of District Six in our province. It is evident that this is a mandate the Minister continues to grapple with while the lives of our residents hang worryingly in the balance.
It is upsetting to see that after over 20 years of waiting the ANC will stop at no end to deny District Six claimants of their dream of returning back to their beloved community.
The Democratic Alliance in the Western Cape will continue to fight for the beneficiaries of District Six, waiting to be returned to their beloved community.
SPEECH BY ALDERMAN JP SMITH, MAYORAL COMMITTEE MEMBER FOR SAFETY AND SECURITY; AND SOCIAL SERVICES
Note to editors: The following excerpt is taken from a speech delivered by Alderman JP Smith, Mayco Member for Safety and Security; and Social Services, at the SA Innovation Summit’s CEO lunch event today. Read more below:
The Fourth Industrial Revolution or Industry 4.0 is creating a buzz globally – We have all heard or read about it, but have we really stopped and thought about the real implications – for yourselves as business and for us as government? What is apparent is that the 4th Industrial Revolution is one of the biggest disrupters of the 21st century. We are standing on the brink of a technological revolution that will fundamentally alter the way we live, work, and relate to one another. In its scale, scope, and complexity, the transformation will be unlike anything humankind has experienced before.
How do we all (governments, business, communities) collectively make this disruptive journey, to make sure Africa takes its rightful place on the global stage? Most of all, how do we ensure that we leave no one behind – we take our residents with us on journey. Let me start by sharing with you what we as the City of Cape Town is doing to meet the disruption of this revolution.
Today, Premier Helen Zille visited the Metro Police Training Academy, where 71 Rail Enforcement Officers are currently being trained on rail commuter safety and infrastructure protection.
The Premier was accompanied by the City of Cape Town’s MAYCO Members for Safety and Security and Social Services, Alderman JP Smith; Transport and Urban Development, Councillor Brett Herron.
The training of the Rail Enforcement Officers forms part of a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA), signed earlier this year between the provincial Public Works and Transport Department, PRASA and the City of Cape Town.
A total of 100 Rail Enforcement Officers are meant to be trained as part of the MOA, at a projected cost of R48 million per annum to operationalize this Unit.
The City and provincial government have gone outside of their constitutional mandates to contribute R16 million each, but PRASA has still not paid their share. The training is proceeding for 71 officers with the funding available from Province and City.
Dam levels have again improved solidly by 3,2% over the last week to 69,1% of storage capacity.
The average water consumption for the past week declined from 535 million litres per day to 526 million litres per day.
Earlier today, the City of Cape Town announced that it would lower water restrictions and tariffs from Level 6 to Level 5 from 1 October 2018 due to the encouraging dam recovery and the ongoing conservation efforts by Capetonians.
The reduction is based on usage hovering around the 500 million litre-mark. The City encourages its water users to stay the course and continue to conserve water to ensure that Cape Town remains in this usage band.
A drunk driving suspect tried, and failed, to pull the wool over the eyes of Metro Police officers this weekend. The suspect tried to pass himself off as a passenger to avoid capture, but he couldn’t fool Metro Police officers and joined dozens of other suspects behind bars. Read more below:
Members of the City of Cape Town’s Metro Police Department attached to the Camera Response Unit were on patrol in Bishop Lavis on Sunday, 2 September 2018 when they noticed the driver of a white Toyota Venture disobeying a directional arrow.
They requested the driver to pull over and then spotted him changing seats with the passenger. They soon discovered the reason – he was under the influence of alcohol and was detained at Bishop Lavis SAPS.
The suspect was one of 21 drunk drivers arrested by the Metro Police Department. The Cape Town Traffic Service arrested 46 more drunk driving suspects, including 29 at a roadblock in Kuils River.
‘Drunk driving continues to be one of our biggest enforcement headaches. Between the Metro Police Department and Traffic Service, there was a 15% increase in the number of arrests in the last financial year. It is an immense drain on our resources as each person arrested has to be booked at the police station, have their blood drawn or submit to the evidentiary breath test at the Shadow Centre and then taken into custody. Throughout the process, the arresting officer has to accompany the suspect, which means officers are taken away from active patrol.
· Dam levels have improved by 3,9%, rising to 65,9% of storage capacity since last week
· Water restrictions and associated tariffs remain in place; however, the City has advocated for a conservative relaxation of the restriction levels, which would pave the way for the associated relaxation of the restriction tariffs
· The average water consumption for the past week was 535 million litres per day, which is an increase from last week’s consumption of 513 million litres per day
The City of Cape Town is very encouraged to see dam levels rise above 65% after significant late-winter rainfall. It is hoped that this latest rain could provide sufficient motivation for finally easing the water restrictions. This decision is currently being considered by the National Department of Water and Sanitation.
Any relaxation of restrictions will at first be conservative. We cannot return to a business-as-usual attitude to water without risking water security in the years to come.
‘The rainfall over the past few weeks, combined with continued saving efforts by the vast majority of residents, has seen dams fill to levels the City hasn’t seen in years. We have managed to steer ourselves away from disaster, but must now start considering how best to manage our recovery going forward,’ said Executive Deputy Mayor, Alderman Ian Neilson.
‘Although much work is planned over the next few years to augment the City’s water supply and continue to create awareness about water conservation, we must remember that we live in a region with a semi-arid climate. At the moment, we will still rely on our dams to provide the majority of our water. Given the unpredictable nature of our rainfall, it is imperative that we diversify our supply for the future, and entrench the water-saving mind-set we have cultivated over the past year,’ said Alderman Neilson.
Although there was a slight drop in the number of green dot properties in the water map for July 2018, most residents are still committed to saving water and the City congratulates them for maintaining their efforts through the rainy season. This good water-saving performance means that a moderate relaxation of restrictions is now being considered.
The latest water map for July shows that a fairly consistent number of households have been awarded a green dot on the City’s water map. A total of 397 184 households achieved green dot status in July 2018, compared to 400 538 in June. As of July 2018, 78,1% of all households were using less than 10,5kl/month.
Residents can view the latest map here.
Consumption is indicated on the map as follows:
- Dark green dot: household using less than 6 000 litres per month
- Light green dot: household using between 6 000 and 10 500 litres per month
- Grey dot with small dark green centre: estimated water meter reading of less than 6 000 litres per month
- Grey dot with small light green centre: estimated water meter reading of less than 10 500 litres per month
- Solid grey dot: excluded property (including sectional title property or group housing / undeveloped property / water use is zero / no available information for the property / estimated water meter reading of more than 10 500 litres per month)
Please note that this data should be interpreted with caution. The map simply indicates water consumption for free-standing houses, and is not necessarily an indicator of compliance with the 50l/day limit currently in place. Households with a high number of occupants who have not applied for an increase to their household allocation, and properties with undetected water leaks may not receive a green dot despite otherwise adequate efforts to reduce consumption. Continue reading
STATEMENT BY THE CITY’S MAYORAL COMMITTEE MEMBER FOR FINANCE, COUNCILLOR JOHAN VAN DER MERWE
The City of Cape Town’s 2018/19 Capital Adjustments Budget was approved by Council today. The tabling of adjustments budgets is part of the normal annual government process to ensure good governance and prudent financial management. This budget has no detrimental impact on the provision of basic services. Read more below:
An amount of R443,8 million has been included in the adjustments budget which is about 6% of last year’s R6,8 billion capital budget. Unspent funds are not lost, but are added to the current capital budget.
This brings the City’s current capital budget for 2018/19 to approximately R8,85 billion.
The Municipal Finance Management Act (MFMA) allows for an adjustments budget that may authorise the spending of funds that were unspent at the end of the previous financial year. This relates to instances where the underspending could not reasonably have been foreseen and thus could not have been included in the current budget for the new financial year.
The City will do everything in its power to ensure that its capital budget is spent as efficiently and timeously as possible within the framework of the law, due process and the realities that affect performance on the ground.
The Western Cape Government welcomes the progress made in implementing the Khayelitsha Commission of Inquiry recommendations.
The Province is marking the 4-year anniversary since the conclusion of the Commission’s work on 25 August 2014, resulting in recommendations for improving police inefficiency, and repairing the breakdown in relations between the SAPS and the community of Khayelitsha.
Premier Helen Zille said the fight for increased safety in Khayelitsha was continuing.
“Our commitment to the people of Khayelitsha – and to seeing their safety concerns addressed – is just as strong as when we took the fight to have the Commission established all the way to the Constitutional Court. While we don’t have the operational mandate over policing – which lies with national government – we are prepared to push the boundaries of our oversight mandate to its constitutional limits,” said Premier Zille.