This from dailymaverick.co.za:
Democratic White House hopeful Hillary Clinton cancelled a California campaign fundraising trip after she fell ill at a 9/11 memorial ceremony Sunday and her doctor revealed she was diagnosed with pneumonia.
“Secretary Clinton will not be traveling to California tomorrow or Tuesday,” spokesman Nick Merrill said, hours after the 68-year-old candidate abruptly left the Ground Zero memorial suffering from what her doctor called dehydration.
Clinton has maintained a busy schedule over the past six weeks, attending three dozen fundraising events in August.
Her schedule modification comes in the heat of a tightening race, and just two weeks before she and Republican rival Donald Trump square off in their high-pressure first presidential debate.
She was due to attend finance events in California on Monday and Tuesday.
There was no word from the campaign on whether she would go ahead with her plans to campaign in the Las Vegas area Wednesday, or whether she might do other campaign events closer to home Monday and Tuesday.
Full story here:
This from sport24.co.za:
Cape Town – A former Proteas cricketer has been involved in an alleged kidnapping and assault of a 14-year-old boy.
The incident is believed to have happened in Pinelands near Cape Town on Wednesday.
Western Cape police confirmed the incident via a statement.
“The case is being investigated. According to reports, a 14-year-old kid opened a case and it is being investigated,” Constable Noloyiso Rwexana, a police spokesperson, told Netwerk24.
“The suspect, a man of 35-years, was warned to appear in court on September 13.”
The sister of the boy told EWN that her brother and his friends were confronted by the former cricketer outside their school on Wednesday.
Full story here:
As the rainy season draws to a close, dam levels remain low. As such, the City calls on residents to implement water-saving measures at home. Meanwhile, the City is continuing work to optimise Cape Town’s supply system and reduce wastage through leaks.
The City of Cape Town is considering the implementation of more rigorous water restrictions and other water-saving and optimisation measures. This is due to the current low dam levels as well as the requirement for a 20% curtailment in water use imposed by the National Department of Water and Sanitation.
Dam levels are currently almost 15% lower than for the same period last year, requiring us to manage our water resources in a careful and prudent manner. Should late winter rains be experienced, the City will review the situation.
‘During drought cycles such as the one being experienced, water restrictions and other water-saving and optimisation measures are necessary to ensure that water use does not exceed available water supply from the system of dams providing the city and the broader region with water. We have a collective responsibility to use water sparingly and ensure that the dams are not drawn down to very low levels over the coming summer period. While this may cause a certain amount of inconvenience and cost burden to our residents and businesses, it is important that we take a longer-term view and consider the possibility of the drought extending into the next winter rainfall period,’ said the City’s Mayoral Committee Member for Utility Services, Alderman Ernest Sonnenberg. Continue reading
We wish to bring to your attention that the Sanlam Cape Town Marathon will be taking place on the morning of Sunday the 18th September 2016. This email serves as notification to ensure all stakeholders have sufficient time to communicate and plan around one of Africa’s most ICONIC City Marathons.
We have worked closely with the Traffic Department of the City of Cape Town to ensure that delicate balance between the safety and convenience of both participants and the general public. As a result the areas surrounding the race route will be affected by road closures and traffic delays. In order to minimalize disruptions, a team of Traffic Officers, Marshalls and Security Officers will be on active duty to manage the days’ proceedings.
Certain road closures may impact on your activities during the course of the morning of the 18th September, please see attached route and road closure list. Please can you ensure that the necessary steps are taken to minimise any possible disruptions. Continue reading
Transport for Cape Town, the City of Cape Town’s transport authority, will suspend the stop/go system on Main Road in Kalk Bay by close of business on Friday 16 September 2016, if all goes as planned. Read more below:
Transport for Cape Town (TCT), the City’s transport authority, has made exceptional progress thus far with the third and final phase of the Main Road project in the Southern Peninsula.
‘We are happy to announce that we have now reached a point where we can continue with the project without the need for the permanent stop/go system along Main Road. This means that TCT will be able to accommodate two-way traffic while we are continuing with the roadworks along Main Road between the Kalk Bay Harbour entrance and Clovelly Road,’ said the City’s Mayoral Committee Member: Transport for Cape Town, Councillor Brett Herron. Continue reading
The City of Cape Town’s enforcement successes this week so far include several drug busts in Mitchells Plain, Athlone, Ocean View, Hanover Park, Delft and Nyanga. Metro Police officers also came to the rescue of a kidnapping victim in Surrey Estate. Read more below.
Quick action from the City’s Metro Police and a tip-off from the public led to the rescue of a kidnapping victim and the arrest of three suspects on Sunday 4 September 2016.
Upon receiving information on the whereabouts of a kidnapping victim, apparently being held for an R800 000 ransom since Friday 2 September 2016, Metro Police officers quickly dispatched to the location in Surrey Estate, Athlone and managed to apprehend the suspects and confiscate one replica firearm used in the kidnapping.
The victim was found shackled and highly traumatised.
Other operations by Metro Police this week have yielded a number of successful arrests. Two suspects were arrested in Mitchells Plain on Tuesday 6 September 2016 for possession of mandrax and tik. Continue reading
A seven year old girl tragically passed away after she was run over by a truck in Symphony Way, Delft at 14:30 this afternoon. She was on her way home from school when the unfortunate incident occurred. The little girl along with both her parents were loaded onto the back of the same truck and rushed to Tygerberg Hospital where she was declared dead by paramedics at the Northern Division Ambulance base. Parents are urged to teach their children how to cross a busy street as early as possible.
STATEMENT BY THE CITY’S EXECUTIVE MAYOR, PATRICIA DE LILLE
Last week I joined leaders from 30 of the world’s major cities to call on G20 leaders to act faster in tackling climate change.
Before the G20 leaders met in the Chinese city of Hangzhou, the call was to put pressure on the major nations of the world to deliver on the promises of the Paris Agreement, agreed in December 2015 and signed by 180 countries.
The joint letter observes that global greenhouse gas emissions need to peak by 2020 in order to limit the global temperature increase to 1,5 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels – a key goal of the Paris Agreement.
The letter asserts that such progress represents ‘one of the greatest political, economic and practical challenges’ for leaders at every level, but reassures the G20 heads of state that they ‘have great allies in this task: we, the mayors of the megacities of the world’. Continue reading
DHL Western Province hooker Scarra Ntubeni will undergo surgery on his torn Achilles tendon on Wednesday.
Ntubeni suffered the injury in the 34-27 victory against the Cell C Sharks at DHL Newlands, and has consequently been ruled out for between six and nine months.
Sikhumbuzo Notshe also injured his ankle at DHL Newlands and has been ruled out for the next three to four weeks after seeing a specialist, whilst his fellow loose forwards Rynhardt Elstadt and Nizaam Carr both return to training this week.
Centre Huw Jones will not be available for the clash against the Xerox Golden Lions in Johannesburg on Friday, due to a hamstring strain which kept him out of the clash with the Cell C Sharks.
Prop Oli Kebble has a hip flexor injury, but could be available before the end of the season, along with outside back Khanyo Ngcukana (neck injury) and flyhalf Jean-Luc du Plessis (ankle injury).
This from bdlive.co.za:
NEWLY elected EFF councillors will have to cough up 50% of their salaries in party levies for the first three months‚ the EFF says.
The party said on Monday it would be strictly enforcing the party levy because it did not want to be captured by white monopoly capital.
EFF president Julius Malema said it was important for all members serving in Parliament‚ legislatures and councils to pay monthly levies.
“The party levy is going to help EFF not to be captured by private donors‚” he said.
He said the 826 elected EFF councillors were all expected to pay 50% of their salaries for three months.
The EFF’s tithe on MPs is 15% — and it says expense claims are not welcomed — while the DA takes 2% of its MPs’ earnings. As for the ANC‚ it is not telling.
Full story here: