STATEMENT BY EXECUTIVE MAYOR PATRICIA DE LILLE
It is with overwhelming sorrow that we have learnt about the tragedy which has befallen the family of Mr Patrick Abrahams of Eastridge, Mitchells Plain. A fire led to the death of three of his children (aged 3, 13 and 18 years old), his three grandchildren (18 months, 6 and 7 years old), his son-in-law (35) and a family friend aged 14 years old.
We know that nothing can ease their pain in the midst of this heartbreak, but we are attempting to assist this family in an effort to ease some of the strain. The City’s disaster response team will be assisting the family with food parcels, blankets, clothing, vanity packs and building material.
Our thoughts are with Mr Abrahams and his family during this time of immeasurable loss. We also carry the four family members who are still in hospital in our thoughts and wish them a swift recovery.
It is my hope that the Abrahams family will find strength and comfort from their loved ones and all fellow Capetonians, during this time of bereavement.
Spencer Ackerman has spoken with a US official who offers a more cautious early analysis of the attack, suggesting a hate-crime motive. Bill Nelson has just said “there is some connection to Islamic radicalism” but cautioned: “we still don’t know the facts”.
A knowledgeable US official told the Guardian that an unfolding federal investigation was in the earliest stages, but an initial hypothesis regarding the shooter’s motive leaned closer to a hate crime than an act of terrorism.
“The idea of it being terrorism is not off the table, but it’s probably not the principal approach. There are other reasons to believe it was motivated toward a very specific kind of community, obviously,” said the official, who would not be identified by name or agency in discussing a fast-moving investigation.
That investigation is still determining if the shooting was “terrorism or a massive, massive hate crime,” the official said.
Full story here:
This from jacarandafm.com:
The African National Congress says it is shocked and saddened at news of the death of former SABC board member Hope Zinde.
ANC spokesperson Khusela Sangoni says the organisation will always remember Zinde for her passion and dedication to her craft.
“We will remember her dedication to mentor young and aspiring journalists and communicators in her field. We are also sad and shocked by the circumstances of her death” she says.
North West police have confirmed they are investigating a case of murder after a woman’s body was found at Pecanwood Estate in Hartebeespoort Dam.
Provincial police spokesperson Sabata Mokgwabone says the woman was found in a boot of a car and it is believed she was murdered between Wednesday and Saturday.
Full story here:
“If more Englishmen do not come out & unequivocally condemn this violence, people will think those drunk extremists represent all of us.”
On Saturday, French police in Marseille clashed with English and Russian soccer fans who had been rioting in the city in the lead up to a UEFA European Championship match.
Several people were arrested and injured, according to police, who used tear gas and water cannon to break up the bottle-throwing rioters.
Hayder al-Khoei, research director at England’s Centre for Academic Shi’a Studies, was watching the unrest unfold from London when he had an idea.
Full story here:
On Saturday morning at 08:24 seven people died when a house in Macbeth Street in Eastridge Mitchells Plain burned down. Of the seven, five were children with two burnt beyond recognition. The other two deceased were adults, one male and one female. Five others adults were critically injured and rushed to Mitchells Plain District Hospital by Western Cape Government Health Emergency Medical Services.
Springbok pivot Pat Lambie has been ruled out of the second test match of the Castle Lager Incoming Series against Ireland next weekend after being concussed in the series opener at DHL Newlands.
Lambie was injured in a tackle that saw Irish flanker CJ Stander being red-carded for dangerous play in the first half of the match, won 26-20 by Ireland. Stander will appear before a disciplinary hearing in Cape Town on Sunday morning.
“The provisional diagnosis is that Pat was concussed and although he is ok, will not be considered for next weekend,” Springbok coach Allister Coetzee said after the match. A call on a possible replacement will be made later.
Lambie was injured in the first half of the match that saw the Springboks battling to find momentum, something Coetzee admitted as being a problem for his side.
“This performance lacked the standards expected of a Springbok team. We are very, very disappointed with this performance and the result, it was not how we want to perform as a team. We take responsibility in the fact that we have not delivered today and can only promise hard work to fix this. We will be better next week,” Coetzee said.
Coetzee applauded the effort from the Irish. Continue reading
The City of Cape Town would like to inform customers in Zone 15 (as per the City’s load-shedding schedule) of an electricity supply interruption from 23:00 on Saturday 11 June to 04:00 on Sunday 12 June 2016 in order to facilitate emergency repairs on a faulty cable link box on the City’s high-voltage network.
Affected areas include Paarden Eiland, Woodstock East, Observatory, Maitland West, Ndabeni and Rondebosch North.
The City is looking into possible temporary network adjustments in order to maintain supply to as large an area as possible. Residents are also assured that the Groote Schuur Hospital’s power supply will not be affected. Continue reading
The South African Weather Service has predicted heavy rainfall, with the bulk due to fall overnight. The City is on standby to respond to any incidents. Read more below:
The City of Cape Town and applicable external agencies are on alert to deal with the consequences of unfavourable weather predicted for Cape Town overnight.
The South African Weather Service has issued an advisory which includes:
· Heavy rainfall in places over the mountainous areas of the Cape metropole
· Strong winds in places over the Central Karoo and Cape Winelands
· Disruptive snowfalls over the high lying areas of the Western and Northern Cape
‘Cape Town needs all the rain it can get to increase our dam levels, but we also have a duty to ensure that we are ready to react to any fallout from heavy downpours and the like. Our Disaster Risk Management Centre will coordinate any response that’s required. Continue reading
Springbok coach Allister Coetzee has named Faf de Klerk as the only uncapped player in the starting team to face Ireland on Saturday at DHL Newlands in Cape Town, while Elton Jantjies has passed a fitness test and will start the first of three Castle Lager Incoming Series Tests between the two countries on the bench.
Coetzee has included six players in the match-23 who did not feature at the Rugby World Cup last year, ushering in a new era for Bok rugby. They are the Emirates Lions quintet of De Klerk, Jantjies, Warren Whiteley, Julian Redelinghuys and Lionel Mapoe, who will earn his first start for the Boks, as well as DHL Stormers hooker Bongi Mbonambi, the only other uncapped player in the match-day squad.
De Klerk has been in good form this season for the Emirates Lions in Vodacom Super Rugby and he earns a starting berth alongside experienced flyhalf Pat Lambie, who has played in 50 Tests for the Boks.
The Springbok coach said he is looking forward to seeing De Klerk earning his first Test cap for South Africa and that it was good to know Jantjies has fully recovered from his injury. The Emirates Lions flyhalf passed a fitness test at Thursday’s training session at the Cape Town Stadium.
“I have no doubt Faf will do a fantastic job,” said Coetzee. Continue reading