If all goes according to plan, residents and visitors to Cape Town will soon be able to make use of tuk-tuk vehicles to travel short distances within the city and surrounding suburbs. Read more below:
The tender for the provision of tuk-tuk public transport services was issued on Friday 15 April 2016 by Transport for Cape Town, the City’s transport authority.
‘We want to use this tender process to appoint public transport operators who will operate 80 tuk-tuk vehicles across eight areas in Cape Town and the far south. The tuk-tuk vehicles are intended for those wanting to travel short distances of 3 km or less to local destinations. The people who will make use of the tuk-tuk vehicles are those who do not necessarily want to make use of a metered taxi service, but also do not want to walk 2 or 3 km to their destination,’ said the City’s Mayoral Committee Member: Transport for Cape Town, Councillor Brett Herron.
The eight initial areas where the tuk-tuk vehicles will be allowed to operate are as follows: Continue reading
This from iol.co.za
Johannesburg – Allan Gray has reportedly appointed former finance minister Nhlanhla Nene to its board.
According to a Bloomberg report, the investment company has hired Nene, who was unceremoniously fired by President Jacob Zuma last December, as a non-executive director of money management.
Nene was fired and replaced by little known David (Des) van Rooyen briefly last year before Zuma made a u-turn and put Pravin Gordhan back as head of SA’s finances.
At the time, Zuma said Nene would be South Africa’s nominee to the Brics Bank.
Last week, Nene told eNCA he had taken up a job in a private company.
According to the interview conducted from his home in Kranskop, KwaZulu-Natal, Nene said he would soon be ending his “garden leave” and joining the private sector.
Full story here:
I am perturbed by the increase in the number of attacks on City of Cape Town firefighters and infrastructure in the last six months.
We witnessed one of the most blatant instances when residents of Siqalo attacked firefighters responding to an incident in November last year. The delay resulted in 15 structures being destroyed by fire instead of the four that were alight when the Fire and Rescue Service teams arrived.
What appeared to be an isolated incident at the time has subsequently escalated into an untenable situation. Between 1 January and 4 April 2016, we recorded at least 17 incidents in Klipheuwel, Khayelitsha, Retreat, Vrygrond, Dunoon, Elsies River, Manenberg and Nyanga where Fire and Rescue vehicles were stoned, forcing staff to retreat from the areas in question and robbing residents of a potentially lifesaving service. Continue reading
STATEMENT BY THE CITY OF CAPE TOWN’S MAYORAL COMMITTEE MEMBER: TRANSPORT FOR CAPE TOWN: COUNCILLOR BRETT HERRON
The City of Cape Town will deploy additional buses on the N2 Express route between Mitchells Plain and Khayelitsha and Cape Town to assist commuters who may be affected by the expected delays of Metrorail trains tomorrow, 18 April 2016. The Golden Arrow Bus Service will also deploy additional buses on routes across the city to prevent commuters from being stranded.
Firstly I want to condemn the violence and the destruction of Metrorail infrastructure and carriages that took place on Thursday evening, 14 April 2016, and the early evening of Friday, 15 April 2016, at the Kraaifontein staging yard and the Cape Town and Woodstock stations.
We cannot ignore the fact that Metrorail is in a state of crisis.
The sabotage of the service by illegal strikers and the longstanding issues with Metrorail’s infrastructure – among which defective signal systems and point detection, as well as electrical malfunction – must be addressed as a matter of urgency. Continue reading
This from news24.com:
Johannesburg – Prophet Paseka Motsoeneng, also known as Prophet Mboro, has rejected claims that he went to heaven on Easter Sunday and had pictures taken with Jesus Christ.
Motsoeneng said because he had not yet died, there was no reason for him to have visited heaven.
“If I had pictures of heaven, my whole family and church would have seen it. I would never insult Jesus like that,” he said on Tuesday.
Pictures alleging to be of Motsoeneng in heaven reportedly appeared on a Facebook page created under his name. Someone claiming to be his spokesperson also allegedly said the pictures were for sale.
Motsoeneng has since reportedly said he was unaware of the person purporting to be his spokesperson.
On Tuesday, the Commission for the Promotion and Protection of Cultural, Religious and Linguistic Communities (CRL Rights Commission) laid criminal charges against Motsoeneng.
It said he had failed to comply with a summons to hand over audited financial statements during their investigation into him and his church, the Incredible Happenings Ministries, for commercialisation of religion.
‘Hated by media’
Full story here:
At 06h44 Western Cape Government Health Emergency Medical Services Responded to Stock Road Railway Station in Philippi East Where an unknown individual died gruesomely when he or she was struck by a train. Emergency Services are currently unable to identify the age and sex of the deceased due to the condition of the body as a result of the severe impact.
This from sanparks.org:
South African National Parks (SANParks) announces that it will be relocating the lion which escaped from Karoo National Park at the end of March to the Addo Elephant National Park (AENP).
The lion will be moved into a boma within an existing 200ha enclosure in the Kuzuko contractual section of the AENP for him to become bonded with the two (2) young females who are currently in the enclosure. The two young females were the cubs that were rescued in Addo Main Camp after their mother was killed by a snake early last year. They survived for about 2 months on their own and, with the help of the public, rangers were able to rescue them. The CEO of SANParks, Fundisile Mketeni said, “This lion, at three years of age, is still young enough to bond with the two females and ultimately establish himself as the resident pride male”. This option forms part of the Frontier Cluster’s Carnivore Management Plan. Continue reading
The City of Cape Town’s partner, the Shark Spotters, has been recognised for their valuable contribution to enhancing the safety of all visitors to in-shore areas. This includes their implementation of the effective shark exclusion net, public education programmes, and cutting-edge research. The City has commended the team for their accolade.
The City of Cape Town-funded Shark Spotters Programme has been awarded the Gold – Innovation Award in the Best for Beach Tourism Category at the African Responsible Tourism Awards 2016, held on Thursday 7 April 2016.
The Best for Beach Tourism Category, sponsored by BulkSMS, is awarded to a tourism business, organisation or initiative providing or contributing to responsible holidays in beach settings. Continue reading