At 13:30 this afternoon Western Cape Government Health Emergency Medical Services was alerted to a motor vehicle accident where a car rolled off the Franschhoek Pass and caught alight. Witnesses on the scene report that the vehicle was travelling in the direction of Villiersdorp and one person was seen trapped inside the burning wreck. Emergency Services including medical, rescue and fire are all on scene. No further details are available at this time.
CAPE TOWN. – Robin Peterson and Justin Kemp, two names intimately associated with a golden period in the rich history of the Cape Cobras, will leave the franchise at the end of the season. Kemp will retire from first-class cricket at the end of the 2015/2016-season after a splendid career in which he featured in four tests and 85 One Day Internationals for South Africa.
He was a major factor in assisting the Cobras to lift ten trophies in the past eight seasons as belligerent middle-order batsman, dependable and probing medium-pacer and one of the best poachers of a cricket ball ever produced by Western Province and the Cobras. In 58 domestic one-day cup matches, he struck 1246 runs at an average of 31.94, while capturing 38 wickets. He also assembled 1691 four-day runs and captured 83 wickets at an average of 27.45.
As a slip-fielder, his name is mentioned in the same breath as Brian McMillan and Neil Johnson as three of the finest who ever played the game under the Oaks. He was a devastating finisher in one-day cricket. Kemp’s 89-ball unbeaten century against India at PPC Newlands for South Africa in 2006 is still fondly remembered. Continue reading
The City of Cape Town’s Vice Squad and Liquor Enforcement Units had numerous successes in the last week during a series of autonomous and joint operations focusing on prostitution and illegal liquor sales.
On Wednesday 16 March 2016, the Vice Squad conducted a joint operation with the Hawks on a suspected brothel in the Cape Town central business district. They arrested four women for prostitution. While searching the premises, a client who was in one of the rooms on the second floor tried to escape by jumping through the window. The man smashed the window frame and fractured his leg upon landing on the ground. He was transported to Groote Schuur hospital for treatment.
‘Fortunately for this man, pain and embarrassment are the worst of his woes as current legislation doesn’t provide for a client using the services of a prostitute to be charged unless they are caught in the act. Had he known that, I imagine he would not have turned stuntman,’ said the City’s Mayoral Committee Member for Safety and Security, Alderman JP Smith. Continue reading
SA Rugby has for the first time addressed the potential threat of match fixing in the sport by putting in a place a monitoring service for Vodacom Super Rugby and Springbok Test matches in 2106.
SA Rugby has partnered with Sportradar, a Swiss-based global leader in providing data services to media companies, bookmakers, sports federations and state authorities, to operate a match fixing detection service.
SA Rugby CEO Jurie Roux said: “We have recently seen allegations of match fixing in other South African sports and it is a threat that SA Rugby is not complacent about.
“In the past few years, World Rugby has really stepped up their quest in ensuring the integrity of the game is upheld with their ‘Keep Rugby Onside’ campaign and we fully support that. Continue reading
This from iol.co.za:
Brussels – Victims lay in pools of blood, their limbs blown off, as the smoke cleared to reveal a scene of horror after twin explosions ripped through the main terminal at Brussels airport, witnesses told AFP.
The normally bustling departure hall at Zaventem was wrecked by the morning rush-hour blasts, with part of the ceiling collapsing near the check-in desks and many of the huge plate glass windows blown out by the attack.
“A man shouted a few words in Arabic and then I heard a huge blast,” airport baggage security officer Alphonse Lyoura, who still had blood on his hands following the explosion, told AFP.
He said there was another explosion about two minutes later.
“I helped at least six or seven wounded people. We took out some bodies that were not moving. It was total panic everywhere,” Lyoura said.
“I saw people lying on the ground covered in blood who were not moving.
“At least six or seven people’s legs were totally crushed. A lot of people lost limbs. One man had lost both legs and there was a policeman with a totally mangled leg.”
Emergency services said at least 11 people were killed in the blast and many others wounded.
Full story here:
It’s been an up-and-down weekend for City enforcement staff who arrested more than 70 suspects while holding land invaders at bay and delivering a baby in the process. Read more below:
The City of Cape Town’s enforcement agencies had their hands full over the last four or five days, courtesy of the taxi-related violence in the Milnerton area, followed by the attempted land invasion in Dunoon. This, while trying to get Operation Exodus up and running and conducting general enforcement operations.
Overall, 72 suspects were arrested including 36 for drunk driving; 14 for possession of drugs; two on charges of robbery; and a record 11 for reckless and negligent driving during a single enforcement operation focusing on illegal street racing. Continue reading
The City’s #YouthStartCT Entrepreneurial Challenge, in partnership with the Seed Academy, is designed to kick-start the businesses of 100 young entrepreneurs who have viable business ideas.
The City of Cape Town’s Social Development and Early Childhood Development Directorate is turning its attention to would-be entrepreneurs in its latest youth development initiative.
The #YouthStartCT Entrepreneurial Challenge 2016 is an accelerator programme for start-up entrepreneurs who have viable business ideas that will also create jobs. The City is partnering with the Seed Academy to offer business skills development, mentoring, and cash incentives to the top performers in the challenge. This forms part of a broader strategy to address issues of unemployment, inequality and poverty.
The Seed Academy, which is running the challenge on behalf of the City, is a training, incubation and funding ecosystem for entrepreneurs that focuses on dramatically growing and scaling high growth-potential businesses. In addition, Altech Radio Holdings has come on board as a sponsor and partner in the challenge. Continue reading
STATEMENT BY THE CITY’S MAYORAL COMMITTEE MEMBER: TRANSPORT FOR CAPE TOWN, COUNCILLOR BRETT HERRON
The City of Cape Town condemns in the strongest possible terms the attack on the MyCiTi Dunoon station late yesterday afternoon, 20 March 2016.
A group of protesters linked to an illegal land grab in Dunoon, attacked and vandalised the MyCiTi Dunoon station in Potsdam Road yesterday at about 16:30. Commuters and a security guard fled the scene when the protesters threw rocks and objects at the station building, causing damage to the glass panels and exterior of the building. Continue reading
With the extended Easter holiday break kicking off today, the City’s Safety and Security Directorate is replicating many of its festive season interventions to keep locals and visitors safe. Read more below:
The City of Cape Town’s enforcement agencies are squaring up for a busy period, with schools closing today and back-to-back long weekends, including Easter.
The agencies will implement some of the aspects of the festive season enforcement plan, which includes a sharpened focus on drunk driving and other traffic transgressions, patrols along major routes like the N2, safeguarding beaches and other public areas, and doing duty at the many events that take place over this period. Continue reading
This from bdlive.co.za:
THE key question in our national debate seems to be shifting from whether President Jacob Zuma should go, to who should succeed him when he does.
In my previous column, I suggested the issue appeared to have boiled down to a choice between Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa and Zuma’s former wife, Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma.
But now the name of Kgalema Motlanthe has resurfaced, apparently favoured by the Gauteng branch of the African National Congress (ANC).
It is an intriguing development, for three years ago, Motlanthe ran against Zuma for the ANC presidency. Had the ANC voted for him then, he would have been president of the country now and we wouldn’t be in the mess we find ourselves.
By the time that choice was made, Zuma had already revealed his incompetence and his corruption, while Motlanthe had shown himself capable of healing the country as stand-in president after the clumsy recalling of former president Thabo Mbeki.
Full story here: