Tweeter button
Facebook button

play slot games online at Slots Dad

*NEWS

Thomas du Toit was en route from France to Nagoya, Japan, on Monday after being called up as an injury replacement to the Springbok Rugby World Cup squad.

The 24-yearold Cell C Sharks prop replaces the unfortunate Trevor Nyakane who tore his right calf in the 23-13 defeat by New Zealand in Yokohama on Saturday night.

Du Toit, who was on a short-term loan to Toulouse, was on standby and had been involved in preparations right up until the team’s departure for Japan.

He is expected to join the squad in Nagoya on Tuesday afternoon.

“It’s very tough on Trevor,” said Rassie Erasmus, director of rugby. “He has had a great season and added value whenever he took the field. It’s a blow to him and the team, but it’s also an opportunity for Thomas and for Vincent [Koch] who now have the chance to step up.”

The Springboks continue their Rugby World Cup campaign against neighbours Namibia in Nagoya on Saturday (kick off 11h45 SA time).

From 23 to 29 September 2019 day access to all CapeNature reserves will be free. CapeNature has made this decision in order to celebrate the significance of our tourism and heritage. September is both Tourism Month and Heritage Month in South Africa.

During Access Week free day access will only apply at the reserve gate and will not be granted when booking through our call centre. The waiver of the access fee pertains to general access (the conservation fee), day hiking and all other day activities, including mountain biking (with your own bike) or picnicking. Normal conservation fees apply for accommodation and camping bookings, while fees are not discounted on concessions that are run by outside suppliers on our reserves.

The following terms and conditions apply:

• The conservation fee will be waived for visitors to any CapeNature reserve that is open to the public between 23 and 29 September 2019.
• Free day access will only apply at the reserve gate. No free access fee will apply when booking through the call centre/online bookings and excludes accommodation bookings (normal rates and access fees apply with any
accommodation booking).
• Free access fee will pertain to general access (conservation fee) and hiking, mountain biking and picnicking. The waiver will NOT apply to the Whale Trail or concessions (including canopy tours, bouldering, horse riding etc.)
• Zero (R0) rated permits need to be given to everyone accessing the reserve during this time, as per usual standard procedure to ensure that all access numbers and activity numbers are recorded.
• Access to Protected Areas during the CapeNature Access Week will be conducted during regular reserve hours and applies to entries at CapeNature reserve gates.

The Springboks will field an unchanged 23 for the first time since the last Rugby World Cup for their opening match of the 2019 version in Yokohama on Saturday (kick-off at 11h45 SA time).

Rassie Erasmus, director of rugby, on Wednesday named the same starting XV and eight replacements that defeated Japan, 41-7, in Kumagaya two weeks ago for the eagerly awaited clash against New Zealand.

No 8 Duane Vermeulen will be appearing in his 50th Test as one of 22 players who will, in fact, be appearing in their fourth match together this season.

The combination also fought to a 16-16 draw with the same opposition in Wellington before beating Argentina, 46-13, in Salta on their way to the Castle Lager Rugby Championship. The one exception is fit-again captain Siya Kolisi, who replaced Kwagga Smith to lead the side out against Japan.

The last time South Africa named an unchanged 23 was 51 matches ago – against New Zealand in the 2015 Rugby World Cup semi-final. The combination had beaten Wales 23-19 in the quarter-final, only to lose at Twickenham by two points a week later.

“We’ve found some consistency and some momentum in a number of ways this season,” said Erasmus, “and one of them is in selection.

Continue reading

JOINT MEDIA RELEASE FROM METRORAIL, THE CITY OF CAPE TOWN AND THE WESTERN CAPE GOVERNMENT

The Western Cape Department of Transport and Public Works, the Passenger Rail Service of South Africa (PRASA) and the City of Cape Town have affirmed their commitment to the safety and security of Metrorail commuters and infrastructure by extending the deployment of the Rail Enforcement Unit for another year. Read more below:

The new Memorandum of Agreement will terminate on 30 June 2020.

Earlier this morning the Minister of Transport and Public Works, Bonginkosi Madikizela; PRASA’s acting Group Chief Executive Officer, Dr Nkosinathi Sishi; and the City’s Mayoral Committee Members for Transport; and Safety and Security, Alderman Felicity Purchase and Alderman JP Smith, met the new recruits during a parade at the Cape Town Station.

Since its inception on 27 October 2018 the REU has acted as a force multiplier for PRASA’s regional Protection Services Unit. Together, the teams have ensured greater operational visibility on trains and stations, searching more individuals during joint operations, and confiscating a greater number of dangerous weapons and fraudulent train tickets.

The following successes were recorded by the unit for the period 27 October 2018 to 30 June 2019: Continue reading

Statement by Alderman Dan Plato, Executive Mayor of Cape Town

I have watched with serious concern as some of the lobby groups active in Cape Town have developed a very flexible relationship with the truth. This is dangerous territory as they will very quickly lose the trust of the public that they claim to represent.

Civil society organisations are crucial to a functional democracy and have an important role in representing different community interests, but they need to do so responsibly and truthfully.

Propaganda and misinformation benefits nobody – these are the very tools that did untold damage to our country through the state capture years and they have nothing of value to offer to our residents, so I am calling on activist groups, civil society groups, and lobby groups to please not misrepresent information to the media and to the people they claim to serve. You will only erode the trust in your organisations if you do this.

The recent matter of a Woodstock eviction is a case in point.

One of the activist groups in Cape Town claim that the City only informed the resident that his property would be auctioned off with a 48h notice. This is blatantly untrue and it is an injustice to our residents for such misinformation and fake news to be spread.

Continue reading

To ensure a safer environment for passengers on the Golden Arrow Bus Service (GABS), the City’s Law Enforcement Department has signed a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) with GABS that will pave the way for Law Enforcement officers to do duty on buses. This on board enforcement will add value to the service and ensure the safety of passengers. Read more below;

The appointment of 20 Law Enforcement officers was made possible by the City’s Expanded Public Works Programme (EPWP). Apart from ensuring the safety of passengers on GABS buses, officers will also be responsible for the enforcement of relevant by-laws such as Traffic and Parking By-laws. The MOA signed by the City will see parties working closely in the interest of the safety of passengers.

‘The memorandum will allow the City to work closely with GABS and will give passengers added value and peace of mind in knowing that there will be a law enforcement presence on buses. Officers will liaise closely with passengers so that they can gather information about possible criminal activity, plan accordingly and act swiftly where necessary. In this regard the City would like to request passengers to assist officers in informing them of any anti-social behaviour, or other activities that could cause a disturbance on buses,’ said the Mayoral Committee Member for Safety and Security, Alderman JP Smith.

Continue reading

Trevor Nyakane is expected to be fit and available for selection for the Springboks’ opening Rugby World Cup match against New Zealand on 21 September, Springbok management confirmed on Sunday.

The tighthead prop sprained a knee during the 41-7 victory over Japan in Kumagaya on Friday and was limited to a 14-minute appearance.

Nyakane made a scheduled return to South Africa on Saturday to be with his wife for the birth of their child this week. He will arrive back in Japan on Friday.

Mr Mark Alexander, President of SA Rugby, reacted with shock and disbelief when the news of the death of former Springbok wing and Blitzboks captain and coach Chester Williams surfaced on Friday afternoon.

Williams was a star of the Springboks’ Rugby World Cup-winning squad in 1995 and one of the best wings in South African rugby history. He passed away from a heart attack in Cape Town on Friday afternoon, aged 49.

“The news of Chester’s passing is devastating and hard to believe, as he was still young and seemingly in good health,” said Mr Alexander.

“Chester was a true pioneer in South African rugby and his performances at the World Cup in 1995, as a snapshot of his Springbok career, will forever be etched in the hearts and minds of our rugby public.

“As a member of the Springbok class of 1995, Chester was not only well-known in the rugby fraternity, but he was a much-loved South African whose influence stretched wider than just the rugby world.

“He was passionate about rugby and South Africa and as coach, at various levels, selflessly gave back to the game after he hung up his boots. He played with courage and was a beacon of light in his community and in the broader South African context.

“Chester Williams had so much more to give. Our thoughts and condolences are with his wife, Maria, his children, family and friends during this very sad time.”

Continue reading

The Democratic Alliance in the Western Cape welcomes a commitment by the Department of the Premier to launch 321 public Wi-Fi Hotspots in the province over the next financial year.

In a reply to a Parliamentary Question in the Provincial Legislature, Premier Winde confirmed that 103 hotpots had already been installed at schools across the province over the 2017/18 financial year, as part of a project which was launched in 2016 with the aim of providing universal internet access.

MPP Ricardo Mackenzie says: “I am excited on behalf of the 244 schools across the City of Cape Town Metro and 77 schools in the Overberg, West Coast, Cape Winelands, as well as Eden and Central Karoo areas who will soon have access to the internet at free public WiFi zones which helps decrease the digital divide in our province. The roll-out will specifically prioritise disadvantaged areas such as Guguletu, Nyanga, Bishop Lavis & Philippi”.

Continue reading

In an effort to fight the ongoing scourge of demonic acts of violence against Women and Children in South Africa, Minister of Social Development, Sharna Fernandez joined hands with P♀WA and JOKO to discuss the causes and solutions to this epidemic.

The #EndDomesticSilence is a gender-based violence campaign launched by Unilever (JOKO) and People Opposed to Women Abuse (POWA) partnership.

The Department of Social Development holds a zero-tolerance approach to any and all forms of violence against women and children.

Continue reading

News
baydu.co.za RUNNER UP in TWO categories! Lifestyle and Entertainment!
View My Stats