Tweeter button
Facebook button

play slot games online at Slots Dad

*NEWS

This from iol.co.za:

Poor Richard Stirton.

He’s the first ever winner of The Voice SA – a prize which includes R800 000 worth of goodies, and a recording contract with Universal Music SA. But that’s not what people are talking about this morning.

A big question mark hangs over Stirton’s win because of the voting fiasco that put a dampener on this reality singing show finale. The Voice’s online voting system is said to have collapsed, which meant only the votes recorded up until Thursday were used to determine the winner. According to M-Net, it is not yet known why the system collapsed and, as such, they also do not know who viewers were siding with in the final outcome. Perhaps their system couldn’t cope with the large number of votes cast. Nevertheless, who’s to say that Stirton is the true champion?

The Voice host Lungile Radu was forced into an embarrasing concession during the finale last night, telling his audience that the votes cast on Sunday would not count towards the final result. He blamed “intermittent” voting platform issues.

At the press conference following the show, M-Net’’s head of publicity Lani Lombard tried her best to put a positive spin on proceedings.

Full story here:

http://www.iol.co.za/tonight/tv-radio/the-voice-cracks-under-pressure-2024834

An alleged rapist was one of 186 suspects arrested during patrols and operations across the city in the last week.

The City of Cape Town’s enforcement agencies arrested 186 suspects during operations and patrols in the last seven days.

One of them was a 47-year-old man arrested on a charge of rape. Officers on patrol in Parow were flagged down by a 12-year-old boy on Wednesday 18 May 2016. The boy informed them that he had been sexually assaulted at a nearby canal and escorted officers to the scene. En route he pointed out the suspect, who was immediately arrested by the officers.

‘This was one of two rape suspects arrested by our enforcement agencies on the same day. It is an extremely sensitive issue and I hope that the investigation by the South African Police Service is handled appropriately. I want to commend the young boy for seeking help and speaking out. It was an extremely brave thing to do,’ said the City’s Mayoral Committee Member for Safety and Security, Alderman JP Smith. Continue reading

On Thursday afternoon, 19 May at around 15h00 Western Cape Government Health Emergency Medical Services (EMS) was contacted by the captain of a fishing vessel 300 nautical miles off our Western Coastline experiencing a cardiac event.

The 43 year old captain, a US Citizen from the fishing vessel, Iron Maiden informed EMS of chest pains and numbness in his fingers. He indicated his intention to continue to Saldanha Bay for medical attention, but out of concern for his safety we alerted the 22nd squadron from Ysterplaat Airforce Base as well as the Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre (MRCC) to please assist and intervene.

On Saturday morning at 7h00 EMS personnel alongside an MRCC crew boarded a 22ndsquadron helicopter and proceded to collect the captain 60 nautical miles from Saldanha Bay.

At 10h34 the captain was safely transferred by EMS ambulance from Ysterplaat Airforce Base to Christiaan Barnard Hospital in a critical but stable condition.

30 patients were treated on scene for chlorine gas inhalation in Green Point at around 9h00 this morning. Another 11 patients with more severe exposure symptoms were rushed to Green Point Day Hospital as well as Grootte Schuur and New Somerset Hospitals by Western Cape Government Health Emergency Medical Services and ER24.

An unmarked Chlorine gas cylinder found on the corner of Bay and Fritz Sonnenberg roads, opposite the City Park building is believed to be responsible for the incident.

chlorine gas exposure can result in symptoms of acute airway obstruction including wheezing, coughing, chest tightness, and dyspnea.

This from news24.com:

Komatipoort – Despite evidence suggesting otherwise, an Mpumalanga local municipality has denied barring EFF leader Julius Malema from using municipal stadiums to address his supporters.

The decision comes barely days after leaders of political parties pledged to abide by the provisions of the South African Electoral Code not to sabotage other parties during election campaigns.

Nkomazi municipality spokesperson Cyril Ripinga confirmed that the municipality had taken a decision that no activities would be allowed to take place in all the local stadia, as the pitches had been damaged during a recent soccer tournament.

Full story here:

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/mpumalanga-municipality-bans-malema-event-eff-20160519

Five urban artists, four with their roots in Mitchells Plain and another from Heideveld, are the creators of the vibrant artwork that has been installed at the MyCiTi station in the Town Centre in Mitchells Plain recently. Read more below:

To date, Transport for Cape Town (TCT), the City of Cape Town’s transport authority, has commissioned more than 50 artworks at MyCiTi stations across the city.

‘We use this as an opportunity to showcase the talent of our local artists and to give visitors a sense of who we are. As such, we have requested five renowned street artists – also known as graffiti artists – from the metro-south east to create visual images depicting the heritage, culture and vibe of the Town Centre in Mitchells Plain, using spray-paint as their medium,’ said the City’s Mayoral Committee Member: Transport for Cape Town, Councillor Brett Herron.

To their families they are known as Wayne Beukes, Maxwell Southgate, Tony Coetzee, André Beukes and Rayaan Cassiem – but as artists and to their admirers the five men go by the names of Conform, Mak1One, Ice7, Drone and Rayzer. Apart from Rayzer who is originally from Heideveld, all of the other urban artists were born in Mitchells Plain.

Mak1One also created the mural for the Omuramba MyCiTi station in Racecourse Road in Milnerton, and Conform contributed to the artwork at the Circle East and Turfclub MyCiTi stations. Continue reading

This from mirror.co.uk:

The former chief of France’s air accident investigation unit said the airbus A320’s disappearance suggested a ‘brutal event’.

What we know so far:

  • Egyptair flight MS804 with 66 people on board including one Brit crashed according Egyptian aviation officials
  • But Egyptair say reason for disappearance hasn’t been yet confirmed
  • Jean-Paul Troadec, the former chief of France’s air accident investigation unit, the BEA, said the disappearance suggested a “brutal event” and was “almost certainly” caused by “an attack
  • The plane took off from Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport at 11.09pm and went missing at 2.45am on route to Cairo International
  • The Greek Merchant Navy has reported seeing a “flame in the sky” in the south Mediterranean
  • The airline has also provided free contact numbers for families concerned for relatives. From outside of Egypt, anyone concerned should call+ 202 25989320

KEY EVENTS SO FAR

Full story here:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/egyptair-flight-ms804-missing-live-8003059

This from thevox.com:

This weekend Antwerp, Belgium, hosted the third annual Muslim Expo, a festival celebrating Muslim culture.

Unfortunately, not everybody in Belgium is interested in celebrating Islam. Belgium has become a hot spot for jihadist radicalization, and the March ISIS terror attacks in Brussels are still a sore spot for many who don’t understand that most Muslims oppose ISIS just as much as anyone.

About 40 members of Vlaams Belang, a far-right Belgian political party, showed up to protest the event. They held signs that said things like “No headscarves,” “No mosques,” and “Stop Islam.”

But Zakia Belkhiri, a young Muslim woman, wasn’t having any of it. She decided to take some cheerfully defiant selfies in front of the protesters — and was captured doing so by photographer Jurgen Augusteyns. His photos of Belkhiri’s selfies went viral after being published by Vice.

Full story here:

http://www.vox.com/2016/5/17/11692306/muslim-selfies-islamophobia-protest-antwerp-belgium

Of the more than 7 500 service requests dealt with by City Health over a nine-month period, 67% were for pest control and unhygienic conditions.

The City of Cape Town’s Health Directorate logged 7 616 service requests and complaints in the first nine months of the current financial year (July 2015 – March 2016). Of these, 99,2% were resolved. However, the bulk of the complaints revolved around vector control (limiting or eradicating animals that transmit disease pathogens) and unhygienic conditions like illegal dumping and waste spillages, as outlined below:

Category Total
Vector control 2 648
Unhygienic conditions 2 428
Noise pollution 417
Clinic services 381
Overgrown erven 374
Air pollution 299
Water 206
Food 79
Smoking 76

Continue reading

This from dailymaverick.co.za:

Prime Evil is not somebody most people want to meet. PALESA MORUDU had personal reasons for wishing to keep her distance from Eugene de Kock, even if there were questions she would ask him if she were to meet him. And then, he sat down right next to her.

This year’s Franschhoek Literary Festival was a surreal event. That is to say, more surreal than usual. Many of South Africa’s bookish types meet annually in this beautiful, moneyed valley to talk to one another about writing, politics and life. In the process a lot of wine is consumed, perhaps because the subject matter, South Africa, is a messy topic.

Sometime last year, I listened to Redi Tlhabi’s radio show when the host interviewed Anemari Jansen, author of Eugene De Kock Assassin for the State. At the time, I was reading Stanley Manong’s If We Must Die. Manong, a former uMkhonto We Sizwe (MK) commander, has published his memoirs, which detail his experiences in ANC camps in Angola. De Kock, who was perhaps the most “effective” murderer in the employ of the apartheid state, makes an appearance in Manong’s book. His unit intercepted several of Manong’s operations inside the country. After reading Manong’s book, one is left with the sense that De Kock may have played a role in the brutal killing of Manong’s mother while the latter was in exile.

De Kock was tried for his unspeakable crimes. He later provided information to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission that helped to shed light on some of the operations in which he was involved – however selective his memory may have proved. For a number of years preceding his release from prison, De Kock gave information to the Missing Persons Task Team of the National Prosecuting Authority that proved invaluable in bringing up the bodies.

De Kock served his time and he is now a free man. Jansen has written a book about him. Manong has written his own book. So it made perfect sense to me that last Friday, Manong and Jansen were on the same panel at Franschhoek, with Tlhabi facilitating the discussion.

Full story here:

Wow! Read this till the end.
News
baydu.co.za RUNNER UP in TWO categories! Lifestyle and Entertainment!
View My Stats