This from iol.co.za:
Parliament – Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan has the full backing of the cabinet, Minister in the Presidency Jeff Radebe said on Thursday.
Gordhan is expected in court on November 2 to answer to fraud charges laid against him by the National Prosecuting Authority.
The charges say that while running the South African Revenue Service, Gordhan fraudulently approved early retirement for a deputy.
Gordhan is “innocent until proven otherwise by a court of law,” Radebe told reporters.
Gordhan has also been added to a inter-ministerial task team analysing university fees following protests by students over the cost of higher education, Radebe said.
Story taken from:
Transport for Cape Town, the City of Cape Town’s transport authority, will commence with the Kommetjie Road Project in Kommetjie in the far south on Monday 24 October 2016, if all goes as planned. Read more below:
The City will spend approximately R171 million on this project which is intended to relieve congestion on the main traffic routes and at key intersections in the Kommetjie area.
The Kommetjie Road Project is part of the City’s Congestion Management Programme which has prioritised Kommetjie as one of the areas in need of intervention. The project will commence on Monday 24 October 2016 if all goes as planned and is set to take place over a period of 30 months, pending any unforeseen challenges.
‘The peak-hour period on roads leading to and from Kommetjie, Sun Valley, Sunnydale, Masiphumelele, Capri, Imhoff’s Gift, and Ocean View exceeds three hours. We have therefore committed to spend R171 million on new road infrastructure, including dual carriageways, to alleviate the congestion along sections of Kommetjie Road and Ou Kaapse Weg. We will also provide infrastructure for the high number of pedestrians and cyclists in the area as well as queue-jump lanes for public transport vehicles such as minibus-taxis and buses, to benefit public transport users,’ said the City’s Mayoral Committee Member: Transport for Cape Town, Councillor Brett Herron. Continue reading
The City’s Law Enforcement Department maintained a heavy presence on popular beaches on the day of matric valedictory celebrations last week. Officers issued numerous fines and confiscated alcohol and drugs. Read more below:
On Friday 14 October 2016, the City of Cape Town deployed 16 Law Enforcement officers to the Clifton 1 – 4 beaches, the Camps Bay beach area, and Maiden’s Cove to monitor the matric valedictory celebrations. The officers were deployed from 14:30 – 22:30.
There were more than 6 000 visitors on the beaches and officers sought to ensure that they were celebrating safely and legally.
Officers issued 12 fines to the value of R12 000 for introducing alcohol on the beach, two fines in terms of the Streets, Public Places and Prevention of Noise Nuisance By-law to the value of R1 000, and one fine for contravening the Seashore Act to the value of R1 000.
A total of 43 notices were issued for traffic violations and officers confiscated 250 bottles of alcohol, 16 small packets of dagga, and two dagga cigarettes. Continue reading
This from dailymaverick.co.za:
Late on Wednesday afternoon, news broke that the University of the Western Cape (UWC) was suspending its academic year, although students would still be writing exams. The university also responded, in detail, to the current list of student demands. Judging by developments on campus through the day, though, the drama was nowhere near over. By MARELISE VAN DER MERWE.
When news broke on Wednesday afternoon that UWC would be suspending its academic year, there was an initial outcry. However, it was campus classes that were being suspended, and students will be able to write exams in November 2016 or January 2017. More specific details, university management said, would be down to individual departments and disciplines.
The Executive issued a statement following its Senate meeting, saying: “All face-to-face classes are suspended. The exact mode of the completion of the academic programme, where needed, will be faculty and discipline-specific and managed by deans and heads of departments.
“Students are given a choice of writing their main examinations either in November 2016 or January 2017… Students who qualify for Supplementary Examinations will be given the opportunity to write those in January 2017.”
Full story here:
On average, the City’s housing database is growing by more than 1 000 applications per month. Protecting its integrity as well as enhancing the accuracy of the database through technology and innovation is therefore increasingly vital to ensure a fair and systematic way of delivering housing opportunities. Read more below:
The City of Cape Town is about to further its drive to increase efficiencies in the way that it manages its housing database through technology. There are approximately 300 000 applicants registered on the database who have expressed their need for a housing opportunity. As the need is pronounced, the database must be protected and managed properly to ensure that potential beneficiaries stand a fair chance at receiving a housing opportunity.
Shortly, the City’s housing database will be linked to its property database which will enable City data administration staff to immediately see whether an applicant already owns a property within the metro. This would halt the capturing of data for such applications and prevent time and resources from being wasted on non-qualifying applications. According to the criteria for receiving a State-subsidised housing opportunity, applicants who have previously owned property do not qualify for an opportunity which involves ownership. Continue reading
STATEMENT BY THE CITY’S EXECUTIVE MAYOR, PATRICIA DE LILLE
Note to editors: The following speech was delivered by City of Cape Town Executive Mayor, Patricia de Lille, at the launch of the 2016 Mayor’s Portfolio of Urban Sustainability at the Civic Centre today, 19 October 2016.
Good afternoon, goeie middag, molweni, as-salaam alaikum, shalom.
It gives me great pleasure to be with you all today as we launch the second edition of the Mayor’s Portfolio of Urban Sustainability.
I remember the excitement and passion that was injected in this organisation two years ago when we celebrated our year as the World Design Capital 2014 and launched the first edition of the portfolio.
It was the beginning of a new chapter where we would no longer cling to the old ways of doing things and instead we interrogated the way we worked and started to think creatively about how to put our city on a sustainable and progressive trajectory. Continue reading
STATEMENT BY THE CITY’S EXECUTIVE MAYOR, PATRICIA DE LILLE
On behalf of the City of Cape Town, I wish to extend our sincere condolences to the families of the 13 victims who died in the fatal bus crash on the N1 near Touws River in the early hours of Sunday morning.
One of the victims, 24-year-old Zizipho Juliet Mnqanqeni, is the daughter of a City employee, Abigail Mnqanqeni.
The City is saddened by the news of these lives which were cut short in such a tragic manner.
We carry Abigail Mnqanqeni and all other family members and friends of the other victims in our thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.
A number of passengers are still recovering in hospital and we extend our wishes to them and their families and pray that they will make a full recovery from their injuries.
This from sport24.co.za:
Cape Town – Cape Town mayor Patricia de Lille wants to honour and pay tribute to Rio Olympic gold medallist Wayde van Niekerk by naming a stadium after him.
In a statement issued by the City of Cape Town, De Lille says she has set up a proposal to rename Green Point Athletic Stadium after the 2016 Olympic 400m world record holder.
Van Niekerk won the men’s 400m final at the Rio Olympics, breaking American Michael Johnson’s 17-year-old record of 43.18 seconds in the process.
“We feel that it would be a fitting tribute to rename the Green Point Athletics Track – the Wayde van Niekerk Athletics Track,” De Lille said on the City of Cape Town’swebsite.
“In terms of due process, we have received the required proposal from (Western Cape) Premier Helen Zille.”
On Monday, the City of Cape Town staged a parade in the honour of the Western Cape-based Rio Olympic and Paralympic medallists, with Van Niekerk one of the athletes in attendance.
Full story here:
The City’s Mayoral Committee has recommended to Council that Level 3 water restrictions be implemented as of 1 November 2016. Read more below:
The City of Cape Town’s Mayoral Committee today approved a recommendation to Council of Level 3 water restrictions from 1 November 2016, with corresponding tariff increases to follow from 1 December 2016. This is in line with the directive from the National Department of Water and Sanitation to reduce demand on the Western Cape Water Supply System by 20%. The report will now appear before Council on 26 October 2016 for final deliberation.
Key enhanced restrictions on Level 3 for residential users are as follows:
- Watering/irrigation (with drinking water from municipal supply) of gardens, lawns, flower beds and other plants, vegetable gardens, sports fields, parks and other open spaces is allowed only if using a bucket or watering container. No use of hosepipes or automatic sprinkler systems is allowed
- Cars and boats may only be washed with water from buckets
- Manual topping up of swimming pools is allowed only if pools are fitted with a pool cover. No automatic top-up systems are allowed
- No portable play pools are permitted to be used
In addition, proposed tariff increases for average residential consumers are as follows: Continue reading
18 October 2016
The DA notes with concern the constant disruptions that cause the delay of housing developments and the delivery of housing in the province.
Disruptions broke out at a community meeting this past weekend and have resulted in the delay of phase 3 of the Joe Slovo, N2 Gateway housing development. Incidents of this nature cannot be allowed to continue because they delay service delivery.
In my capacity as Chairperson of the Standing committee on Human Settlements in the Western Cape Provincial Parliament, I have written to Minister of Human Settlements, Bonginkosi Madikizela, to inquire how much these delays are costing the Department and what measures his Department is putting in place to ensure that no more delays are experienced. Continue reading