The 52-year-old former Springbok assistant coach succeeds Heyneke Meyer at a time when a number of veterans of the 2007 Rugby World Cup triumph have gone into retirement, including three of last year’s four captains.
“Allister’s appointment marks the changing of the guard at the top of Springbok rugby and is an exciting new departure for SA Rugby,” said Mr Hoskins.
“It is a watershed moment for our game with new players developing alongside a spine of experience and it was the right time to have a new man guiding the Springboks for the foreseeable future.
“Allister was the outstanding candidate in terms of his rugby credentials, his understanding of our unique South African transformation imperatives and also in the image he will present as Springbok coach. I am delighted to welcome him back into the Springbok fold. Continue reading
The City of Cape Town’s Metro Police Gang and Drug Task Team (GDTT) and Stabilisation Unit confiscated four illegal firearms in one day – three of them in Manenberg.
On Thursday 7 April 2016, the GDTT arrested a 32-year-old suspect with a .38 special revolver and four rounds of ammunition in Hanover Park. The same team later arrested a 26-year-old for possession of an illegal firearm and ammunition in Manenberg. Five other suspects were arrested in Manenberg on Thursday for possession of narcotics. Officers confiscated various quantities of dagga and mandrax.
This from iol.co.za:
Cape Town – A long distance bus company could have its operating licence revoked after authorities found 50 boxes of illegal abalone being smuggled in one of its buses.
The Western Cape Transport Department says it is investigating the Intercape bus company, after cops received a tip-off about the abalone, worth a whopping R5 million, hidden in a bus compartment.
Police swooped on the Cape Town bus terminus on Wednesday afternoon, where the City of Cape Town’s Law Enforcement’s marine unit found a ton of perly packed in 50 boxes.
No arrests have been made yet, although two Intercape employees have been questioned by cops.
Mayoral committee member for safety and security JP Smith has urged police and the Hawks to investigate long distances bus companies as it appears they are being used to smuggle contraband.
Western Cape Transport Department spokesperson Siphesihle Dube says: “JP Smith referred the matter to the department and an investigation was launched into the possibility of withdrawing [Intercape’s] operation licence.”
Full story here:
Protesters participating in the EFF march to the Civic Centre this afternoon, 8 April 2016, illegally occupied four 18-metre MyCiTi buses, forcing the drivers to transport them back to Dunoon. Read more below:
The conduct of some of the protesters participating in the EFF march to the Civic Centre this afternoon is unacceptable. A group of protesters prevented the MyCiTi buses from turning around at the Civic Centre station, delaying the service while law-abiding commuters in the station building were waiting in lengthy queues to board the buses to go home for the weekend.
Some of these protesters eventually forced their way onto four 18-metre buses, intimidating the bus drivers and demanding to be transported back to Dunoon. Continue reading
DA statement: 08 April 2016
The DA in the Western Cape calls for the PRASA national office to intervene in the brewing labour conflict in the province and deal with any unresolved matters. In particular, the potential strike action by members of The South African Transport and Allied Workers’ Union (Satawu).
Metrorail provides an essential service to the people of the Western Cape. We cannot allow that this dispute brings commuter mobility to a standstill. In my capacity as Chairperson for the Standing Committee on Transport and Public Works in the Western Cape Provincial Parliament, I will write to acting group Chief Executive Officer, Nathi Khena, to call on him to resolve the regional conflict. PRASA must ensure that their agreement with the Satawu national leadership is upheld. The agreement stipulates that no strike action will happen before every alternative avenue, to resolve these legitimate issues amicably, has been exhausted. Continue reading
The City of Cape Town recently activated a virtual fence in Gordon’s Bay as part of its baboon management strategy. Since implementation in mid-January there have been no incidents of the resident troop entering town. Read more below:
In an effort to reduce human-baboon conflict in the Gordon’s Bay area, the City of Cape Town’s Environmental Resource Management Department has implemented a virtual fence system which will assist in deterring the resident baboon troop from entering the residential area.
When the troop enters the zone between their home range (in the protected area) and the houses of Gordon’s Bay, speakers emit the noise of a predator, such as a lion. Baboons immediately sense there is danger and do not enter the zone. The virtual fence then becomes a virtual boundary zone in the mind of the baboon troop and ultimately results in the animals staying out of the town altogether. Continue reading
STATEMENT BY THE CITY’S MAYORAL COMMITTEE MEMBER: TRANSPORT FOR CAPE TOWN, COUNCILLOR BRETT HERRON
The MyCiTi T01 and T04 trunk services from Dunoon as well as all the Table View feeder services were delayed this morning due to protest action by residents from Dunoon. Given the volatile situation, three MyCiTi stations – Usasaza, Dunoon and Killarney – will remain closed until further notice. Read more below:
Hundreds of MyCiTi commuters were inconvenienced this morning due to the illegal protest action by a group of residents who prevented MyCiTi buses from leaving the Stables bus depot in Dunoon. The group gathered in front of the gates at the depot during the early hours of this morning, 8 April 2016, blocking the exit and preventing a staff bus transporting bus drivers from entering the premises.
Law Enforcement officials were deployed to assist with the situation. The first buses were only dispatched at around 06:30 this morning, with Law Enforcement assisting and escorting the bus drivers.
Transport for Cape Town (TCT), the City’s transport authority, requested that other vehicle operating companies assist with additional trips along the affected routes in an effort to limit delays and the inconvenience to commuters.
Despite these emergency measures, most of the commuters experienced delays of up to 90 minutes during the morning peak-hour period, arriving late for work or school due to reasons beyond their control.
The City will not allow protesters to disrupt an essential transport service and to threaten our personnel. I condemn their illegal protest action in the strongest possible terms.
I also want to make it clear that we will do everything in our power to ensure the safety of our passengers and MyCiTi personnel. Other residents from Dunoon and the surrounding suburbs have every right to decent public transport and the City will not hesitate to defend and protect their right to make use of the MyCiTi service unhindered.
Potsdam Road is closed for traffic at the intersection with Blaauwberg Road and Sandown Road. As such, the MyCiTi buses operating along the T01and T04 route are currently turning short at Killarney Terminus until further notice. Due to the volatile situation, three of the busiest stations along the T01 – Usasaza, Dunoon and Killarney – will also remain closed until further notice.
TCT and Law Enforcement are closely monitoring the situation. A further update about the afternoon peak-hour service will be issued later today.
The City is still trying to establish the reasons for the protest action, save to say that it is alleged to be linked to the illegal land grabs in Dunoon during the weekend of 20 March 2016.
The below is an extract from a statement by the City’s Executive Mayor, Patricia de Lille, at her first official meeting with the South African Police Service Western Cape Provincial Commissioner, Lieutenant General KE Jula, today 7 April 2016.
It is a great pleasure for me to be here today with the newly appointed Western Cape Provincial Police Commissioner, Lieutenant General Khombinkosi Jula.
Even though the primary mandate to fight crime belongs to the South African Police Service (SAPS), the City of Cape Town has a crime prevention strategy which exists to support their work. We are here today in the spirit of cooperative governance to reaffirm our commitment to working with the SAPS to address the scourge of crime across our city. Continue reading
This from enca.com:
JOHANNESBURG – African Union Commission head Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma is to step down at the end of her four-year term in July.
Dlamini-Zuma’s spokesperson says the decision is for personal reasons.
The ex-wife of President Jacob Zuma is a leading candidate to succeed him as head of the ANC.
She served as home affairs minister in Zuma’s cabinet.
Previuosly, she held the posts of minister of health and of foreign affairs.
The African Union will name her successor in July at a heads of states gathering in the Rwandan capital, Kigali.
An adult male passed away this morning when he was struck by a train on Nolungile Station in Khayelitsha. The fatal incident occurred at 08h00 and Western Cape Government Health Emergency Medical as well as Forensic Pathology Services responded to the scene.