The City of Cape Town would like to inform customers in Zone 15 (as per the City’s load-shedding schedule) of an electricity supply interruption from 23:00 on Saturday 11 June to 04:00 on Sunday 12 June 2016 in order to facilitate emergency repairs on a faulty cable link box on the City’s high-voltage network.
Affected areas include Paarden Eiland, Woodstock East, Observatory, Maitland West, Ndabeni and Rondebosch North.
The City is looking into possible temporary network adjustments in order to maintain supply to as large an area as possible. Residents are also assured that the Groote Schuur Hospital’s power supply will not be affected. Continue reading
The South African Weather Service has predicted heavy rainfall, with the bulk due to fall overnight. The City is on standby to respond to any incidents. Read more below:
The City of Cape Town and applicable external agencies are on alert to deal with the consequences of unfavourable weather predicted for Cape Town overnight.
The South African Weather Service has issued an advisory which includes:
· Heavy rainfall in places over the mountainous areas of the Cape metropole
· Strong winds in places over the Central Karoo and Cape Winelands
· Disruptive snowfalls over the high lying areas of the Western and Northern Cape
‘Cape Town needs all the rain it can get to increase our dam levels, but we also have a duty to ensure that we are ready to react to any fallout from heavy downpours and the like. Our Disaster Risk Management Centre will coordinate any response that’s required. Continue reading
Springbok coach Allister Coetzee has named Faf de Klerk as the only uncapped player in the starting team to face Ireland on Saturday at DHL Newlands in Cape Town, while Elton Jantjies has passed a fitness test and will start the first of three Castle Lager Incoming Series Tests between the two countries on the bench.
Coetzee has included six players in the match-23 who did not feature at the Rugby World Cup last year, ushering in a new era for Bok rugby. They are the Emirates Lions quintet of De Klerk, Jantjies, Warren Whiteley, Julian Redelinghuys and Lionel Mapoe, who will earn his first start for the Boks, as well as DHL Stormers hooker Bongi Mbonambi, the only other uncapped player in the match-day squad.
De Klerk has been in good form this season for the Emirates Lions in Vodacom Super Rugby and he earns a starting berth alongside experienced flyhalf Pat Lambie, who has played in 50 Tests for the Boks.
The Springbok coach said he is looking forward to seeing De Klerk earning his first Test cap for South Africa and that it was good to know Jantjies has fully recovered from his injury. The Emirates Lions flyhalf passed a fitness test at Thursday’s training session at the Cape Town Stadium.
“I have no doubt Faf will do a fantastic job,” said Coetzee. Continue reading
9 June 2016 Release: Immediate
The DA in the Western Cape notes the false allegations made by the EFF regarding eligibility for housing opportunities.
In my capacity as Chairperson of the Standing Committee on Human Settlements in the Western Cape Provincial Legislature, I will write to Minister of Human Settlement, Bonginkosi Madikizela, to inquire how many housing opportunities have been made available in this financial year and how many beneficiaries have received title deeds.
The EFF has made claims that the DA-led Western Cape Government refuses to provide housing opportunities to beneficiaries under the age of 40. These claims are completely baseless and false. These are cheap tactics used by a desperate party trying to get a foot into the DA-led Western Cape.
The Department has a strategy in place that continues to prioritise the most deserving people in our communities. Qualifying beneficiaries on the housing data base are allocated houses accordingly, not on basis of age. However, priority will always be given to the elderly, people living with disability as well as child headed households.
The DA will always put the most vulnerable first, and is committed to improve living conditions to everyone in the province through enhanced management of land.
STATEMENT BY THE CITY’S EXECUTIVE DEPUTY MAYOR, ALDERMAN IAN NEILSON
The City of Cape Town notes the publication by Stats SA of the results in the non-financial census of municipalities for the year ended 30 June 2015.
We believe that this report resolves a number of the methodological questions we had last week related to the Stats SA results of the Household Survey 2015. We maintained that there was a discrepancy in both the definitions and methodology applied.
The results for sanitation provision in the non-financial census for the City of Cape Town are as follows:
|City of Cape Town||2014||2015|
|Flush toilet connected to public sewerage system||595 641||608 106|
|Flush toilet connected septic tank||3 561||3 651|
|Ventilated improved pit latrine system||0||13|
|Other||32 484||33 960|
SA Rugby and the ANC Youth League on Wednesday confirmed that plans to disrupt Springbok Test matches had been cancelled, following positive engagements between the two bodies.
ANC Youth League Secretary General Njabulo Nzuza, said that although rugby still had much work to do, his organisation had been reassured of SA Rugby’s intentions and commitment following a presentation to the League by SA Rugby.
The ANCYL has rigorously engaged with SA Rugby on the memorandum to them on the pace of transformation in rugby in South Africa. This is a very serious and important issue for the Youth and we went in search of answers, said Mr Nzuza.
“After an intense and exhaustive dialogue on the current situation in rugby, we were reassured that SA Rugby takes this matter as seriously as the ANCYL and that steps have been put in place to ensure that transformation continues apace in the game.
“We have further noted that the current Springbok squad is the most transformed in history and Teboho Mohoje has been named as captain of the South Africa ‘A’ team this week.
“SA Rugby demonstrated where progress has been made and on that basis we are happy to throw our full weight behind the Springboks and put off our plans to disrupt matches. We have provided SA Rugby with recommendations on Youth engagement and will continue this conversation with SA Rugby.”
Khaya Mayedwa, Senior Manager Government and Stakeholder Relations at SA Rugby, said: “We had a healthy and at times robust conversation with the Youth League, but there was also a meeting of minds.
“We had the opportunity to explain just how far SA Rugby has come in recent years and discuss the details of our Strategic Transformation Plan, which is a road map for the sport at all levels to 2019. We believe that SA Rugby has a good story to tell and we welcomed the engagement with the ANCYL to bring them up to speed with our progress.”
At 16h00 WCGH Emergency Medical Services was alerted to reports of an explosion at number 71, 7th Avenue in Kensington at a company called Colpack. One adult male in his early 30s was killed when the Liquid paraffin gas cylinder he was busy grinding exploded. Police as well as WCGH Forensic Pathology Services are also on scene.
Transport for Cape Town, the City of Cape Town’s transport authority, has installed a 3D laser detection system in Muizenberg to assist in preventing vehicles with a height of 2,5 m and more from crashing into the low railway bridge at Atlantic Road. Read more below:
‘The railway bridge crossing Atlantic Road in Muizenberg is notorious for crashes, mainly because road users often underestimate the height of their vehicles or load when driving through under the bridge. A truck or vehicle crashes into or gets stuck under this bridge about once a week despite the numerous signboards along Main Road and Atlantic Road warning drivers of the 2,5 m height restriction ahead,’ said the City’s Mayoral Committee Member: Transport for Cape Town, Councillor Brett Herron.
It became apparent that a different warning system was required to improve the safety of road users and to try to prevent crashes into the railway bridge over Atlantic Road as the earlier systems were affected by the extremely corrosive environment and required constant maintenance. Continue reading
At 10h50 this morning a 22 year old male died after sustaining a gunshot wound to his abdomen In Bishop Lavis opposite the Court Building. Western Cape Government Health Forensic Pathology Services attended the scene.