This from pitchfork.com:
The iconic musician was found dead at his Paisley Park estate in Chanhassen, Minnesota
Prince Rogers Nelson, the icon known to the world simply as Prince, has died, TMZ reports. He was found this morning at his Paisley Park estate in Chanhassen, Minnesota. He was 57 years old. The cause of death has not been confirmed, but last week, Prince had been on a flight home from Atlanta when his pilot was forced to make anemergency landing to take Prince to the hospital. A representative said he had the flu.
Born in Minneapolis, the iconic musician released 39 studio albums throughout his prolific career, including two in 2015: HITNRUN Phase One and Two. His most iconic release may be 1984’s Purple Rain, as well as the film of the same name. Pitchfork named the title track the best song of the 1980s.
This from wheels24.co.za:
Cape Town – As inconvenient as they may seem, roadblocks exist to ensure the safety and well-being of all road users, especially during peak traffic hours, holiday periods and over weekends.
Knowing your rights as a road user as well as the best approach to dealing with the situation is critical in SA.
Arrive Alive editor Johan Jonck said: “It is important that road users reduce the anger caused by delays as a result of roadblocks through a better understanding of why they are necessary. Roadblocks should not be seen as merely a fine collection or a money-generating exercise, but as something that is important for the safety of all road users.”
Two types of roadblocks
Full story here:
Last night I met with the real leaders of Dunoon, including the elected ANC ward councillor, Councillor Lubabalo Makeleni.
This meeting follows the high level of violence which has occurred in the area since Sunday evening. Major roads have been blocked with burning tyres, public infrastructure has been vandalised, shops belonging to foreigners have been looted, and people’s lives are being threatened.
Collectively, we condemn what these EFF thugs and gangsters are doing. It is increasing the suffering of all the people of Dunoon. Children are being prevented from going to school, and parents are being prevented from going to work to provide for their families.
We call on the Economic Freedom Fighters not to start their campaign with violence and destruction. They cannot try to gain votes at the expense of the poor through the destruction of public and private property. Continue reading
This from rnews.co.za:
The Presidency has remained mum on weekend media reports that “senior African National Congress (ANC) members” are working on an alleged bold plan to oust President Jacob Zuma after the local government elections on August third.
According to the Sunday Times, the officials, some based at the ANC’s Luthuli House headquarters, have been discussing details and communicating with party branches across the country opposed to Zuma, to remove him after the elections.
This involved easing the imminent calls for Zuma to leave in favour of ramping up pressure only after the elections had taken place, as some have feared that his early removal could have a negative impact come voting time.
“We need to buy time and act only after the elections. We are giving [Zuma] a long rope to hang himself,” he said,” one official allegedly told the paper at the launch of the party’s election manifesto in Port Elizabeth on Saturday.
Addressing the media after conducting a walkabout of the Greenacres Shopping Centre a day before, Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa said the party remains confidant it would retake control of the Metro after the elections, as only positive feedback from residents had been heard during visits in and around the area.
Full story here:
If all goes according to plan, residents and visitors to Cape Town will soon be able to make use of tuk-tuk vehicles to travel short distances within the city and surrounding suburbs. Read more below:
The tender for the provision of tuk-tuk public transport services was issued on Friday 15 April 2016 by Transport for Cape Town, the City’s transport authority.
‘We want to use this tender process to appoint public transport operators who will operate 80 tuk-tuk vehicles across eight areas in Cape Town and the far south. The tuk-tuk vehicles are intended for those wanting to travel short distances of 3 km or less to local destinations. The people who will make use of the tuk-tuk vehicles are those who do not necessarily want to make use of a metered taxi service, but also do not want to walk 2 or 3 km to their destination,’ said the City’s Mayoral Committee Member: Transport for Cape Town, Councillor Brett Herron.
The eight initial areas where the tuk-tuk vehicles will be allowed to operate are as follows: Continue reading
This from iol.co.za
Johannesburg – Allan Gray has reportedly appointed former finance minister Nhlanhla Nene to its board.
According to a Bloomberg report, the investment company has hired Nene, who was unceremoniously fired by President Jacob Zuma last December, as a non-executive director of money management.
Nene was fired and replaced by little known David (Des) van Rooyen briefly last year before Zuma made a u-turn and put Pravin Gordhan back as head of SA’s finances.
At the time, Zuma said Nene would be South Africa’s nominee to the Brics Bank.
Last week, Nene told eNCA he had taken up a job in a private company.
According to the interview conducted from his home in Kranskop, KwaZulu-Natal, Nene said he would soon be ending his “garden leave” and joining the private sector.
Full story here:
I am perturbed by the increase in the number of attacks on City of Cape Town firefighters and infrastructure in the last six months.
We witnessed one of the most blatant instances when residents of Siqalo attacked firefighters responding to an incident in November last year. The delay resulted in 15 structures being destroyed by fire instead of the four that were alight when the Fire and Rescue Service teams arrived.
What appeared to be an isolated incident at the time has subsequently escalated into an untenable situation. Between 1 January and 4 April 2016, we recorded at least 17 incidents in Klipheuwel, Khayelitsha, Retreat, Vrygrond, Dunoon, Elsies River, Manenberg and Nyanga where Fire and Rescue vehicles were stoned, forcing staff to retreat from the areas in question and robbing residents of a potentially lifesaving service. Continue reading
STATEMENT BY THE CITY OF CAPE TOWN’S MAYORAL COMMITTEE MEMBER: TRANSPORT FOR CAPE TOWN: COUNCILLOR BRETT HERRON
The City of Cape Town will deploy additional buses on the N2 Express route between Mitchells Plain and Khayelitsha and Cape Town to assist commuters who may be affected by the expected delays of Metrorail trains tomorrow, 18 April 2016. The Golden Arrow Bus Service will also deploy additional buses on routes across the city to prevent commuters from being stranded.
Firstly I want to condemn the violence and the destruction of Metrorail infrastructure and carriages that took place on Thursday evening, 14 April 2016, and the early evening of Friday, 15 April 2016, at the Kraaifontein staging yard and the Cape Town and Woodstock stations.
We cannot ignore the fact that Metrorail is in a state of crisis.
The sabotage of the service by illegal strikers and the longstanding issues with Metrorail’s infrastructure – among which defective signal systems and point detection, as well as electrical malfunction – must be addressed as a matter of urgency. Continue reading