The RMI notes with concern the state of non-roadworthy and unlicensed heavy vehicles in operation on South Africa’s roads, highlighted by a recent report of four trucks and trailers being impounded in Mpumalanga.
The vehicles were taken off the road following an inspection by traffic authorities who found the rigs to be non-roadworthy and operating with fraudulent documentation, including invalid licenses.
The RMI’s concern is further exacerbated by the fact that RTMC data shows that that there have been 131 major crashes involving trucks in which 791 people have been killed and 726 injured between January, 2013 and May, 2016. The fatal crashes have taken place in KZN, Gauteng, the Free State, Mpumalanga and the Eastern Cape.
Commenting on the issue, RTMC spokesperson Simon Zwane says vehicle-related factors have been identified as the second most common contributing factor to the accidents, with human error or behaviour the lead cause. Continue reading
The City’s Electricity Services Department has been battling to restore street lighting along Jakes Gerwel Drive, following damage caused by protestors. Read more below:
The City of Cape Town’s efforts to restore street lighting along a section of Jakes Gerwel Drive have once more been hamstrung by thieves.
Earlier this year, the section of Jakes Gerwel Drive between Highlands Drive and the R300 was left in darkness after protestors destroyed the electricity control box in the area.
The City’s Electricity Services Department attempted to restore the electricity by relaying supply from an alternative box in April, but this was short-lived and the power was cut once more.
The Department was eventually able to replace the control box towards the end of June, but a few weeks later thieves have struck again – this time stealing the cables. The cost of the damage and resultant repairs have been tallied at nearly R20 000.
‘We receive ongoing complaints from residents who are justifiably concerned for their safety in the area and it really is disheartening to find yourself back to square one when you’ve just managed to fix the problem,’ said the City’s Mayoral Committee Member for Utility Services, Alderman Ernest Sonnenberg.
The Electricity Services Department is currently considering ways to prevent theft and vandalism of infrastructure in the future so that the City can keep the lights on in this area and other areas affected by cable theft and vandalism.
Between July and December 2015, the Electricity Services Department reported just over R9 million rand in losses as a result of stolen or vandalised equipment.
STATEMENT BY THE CITY’S MAYORAL COMMITTEE MEMBER: TRANSPORT FOR CAPE TOWN, COUNCILLOR BRETT HERRON
This afternoon I received a memorandum from Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU) in the Western Cape, under the leadership of Mr Tony Ehrenreich, protesting against the state of public transport.
Given the number of times the 3rd of August was mentioned it was clear that this was an electioneering stunt for the ANC. The small size of the crowd of protestors should worry both the ANC and COSATU.
We agree that Metrorail is in a state of crisis. Even though Metrorail is being managed by the Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa, a state-owned enterprise, the City is assisting our partners from Metrorail as often as we can and within our limited resources.
This latest stunt from COSATU to target the City through their protest action is ironic, if not dishonest and schizophrenic. Continue reading
At 12h24 today Western Cape Government Health Forensic Pathology Services was alerted to another shooting death in Netreg, Bonteheuwel. A 20-year-old male sustained several gunshot wounds at 47 Almond Street, Netreg, and subsequently passed away. Police are investigating the matter, but no further details are available at this time.
The City of Cape Town’s enforcement agencies arrested 166 suspects in the last week – two of them on charges of armed robbery.
On Saturday, 9 July 2016, members attached to the City’s Volunteer Law Enforcement Auxiliary Services were on patrol in their community sponsored vehicle in the Constantia Valley. At approximately 01:00 they were informed that a private security firm was following a vehicle used in an attempted house robbery in Plumstead. Officers caught up with the suspects in Diep River and gave chase (view dashcam footage here: https://youtu.be/qbnbmwfHSqc ) and arrested three suspects after their vehicle crashed into a wall. Officers also recovered a firearm and an unspecified amount of cash. Continue reading
This from theguardian.com:
There is a video too.
Large area of city sealed off as police negotiate with suspected gunman in between exchanges of gunfire.
The city of Dallas was plunged into chaos on Thursday night as four police officers were shot dead and at least seven others were wounded when dozens of shots were fired during a downtown protest against violence.
Dallas police chief David Brown said three suspects were custody and officers were continuing to negotiate with one suspect, believed to be one of the shooters, who was cornered on the second floor of a garage. He added that he did not have a “complete comfort level” that all suspects had been apprehended.
Officers were continuing to exchange gunfire with the cornered suspect, Brown said, telling reporters the suspected gunman had told officers: “The end is coming” and that “he’s going to hurt and kill more of us – meaning law enforcement.”
A “suspicious package” was also found near the suspect, according to the department and the individual had told officers he had planted bombs “all over the place”.
The anti-violence rally descended into chaos on Thursday night after what Brown described as “two snipers” shot at officers “from elevated positions”. Four officers were struck fatally and several of the wounded were reported to be in surgery or a critical condition.
Brown said at a press conference that the snipers appeared to have positioned themselves on perches at downtown garages during an orchestrated attack and “planned to injure and kill as many law enforcement officers as they could”.
As the siege situation emerged, Brown said the FBI and ATF had been asked to assist in investigating the suspect’s bomb threat. The Federal Aviation Authority [FAA] later issued a temporary flight restriction over downtown Dallas.
The chief said that two other suspects were apprehended after officers followed their vehicle and recovered two camouflage bags. Another suspect, a female, was arrested close to the garage where the standoff was taking place.
The department was investigating whether any of the suspects had prior knowledge of the protest’s planning. “We’re leaving every motive on the table,” Brown said.
Full story here:
The graduation of 20 trainee traffic officers today signalled the end of the City of Cape Town’s first ever Traffic Services learnership programme.
The group was among 33 000 individuals who initially applied for the programme in the first quarter of 2015. The City whittled down the applicants to 4 054 who met the selection criteria and who were put through a rigorous physical assessment including a 2,4 km run, sit-ups, as well as shuttle runs that had to be completed within a specific time period. Only 625 candidates were left standing after the eight day assessment.
From there, candidates had to complete a written assessment. Those who passed were finally subjected to an interview process, resulting in 22 candidates starting the 12-month FET certificate course in Road Law Enforcement. During this time, two candidates left the programme to pursue other interests.
The course also included training in how to handle a firearm, conduct roadblocks and point duty, restraining techniques and agility. Continue reading
At 10h00 this morning Two men aged 31 and 42 were rushed to Grootte Schuur Provincial Hospital by Western Cape Government Health Emergency Medical Services in critical but stable conditions after sustaining multiple gunshot wounds in Hanover Park. The bodies of two more men aged 19 and 27 were removed from the same area by Forensic Pathology Services. Emergency Medical Services are not currently entering the Hanover Park area without a police escort.
Cape Town was named #1 in the category ‘Top Cities in Africa and the Middle East’ in the Travel + Leisure 2016 World’s Best Awards, at a presentation ceremony held in New York last night (6 July 2016). Read more below:
The Mother City continues to pull out all the stops to attract domestic and international visitors, gathering awards around the globe for her magnificent beauty and tourist offerings.
Most recently, the 2015/2016 Telegraph Travel Awards chose Cape Town as the Best City in the World for the fourth year running, knocking-out Vancouver and Venice, which took second and third place respectively in the Best City category.
In Condé Nast’s highly acclaimed Reader’s Choice Awards, the Mother City also took the top honours as the number one food city in the world! Continue reading