Tweeter button
Facebook button

play slot games online at Slots Dad

SA Blog Awards Badge

Western Cape

There are five changes to the DHL Western Province team for the SuperSport Rugby Challenge Cape derby against Boland in Worcester on Saturday.

The defending champions will be looking to make it seven straight wins this season when they face local rivals Boland, in a match that kicks off at 14h15 at Esselyn Park in Worcester on Saturday.

There are changes either side of hooker Scarra Ntubeni as Michael Kumbirai shifts across to loosehead prop, with Neethling Fouche coming in at tighthead and Carlu Sadie set to make his senior DHL Western Province debut from the replacements bench.

In the second row Johan du Toit comes into the starting line-up, while loose forward Juarno Augustus returns from injury to take his place on the replacments bench.

Josh Stander is back at flyhalf, after he was forced to withdraw late last week for the 52-24 victory against Border and Logan Basson will start on the right wing, with Duncan Saal shifting to outside centre in place of the injured Dan Kriel.

DHL Western Province Head Coach John Dobson said that his team are expecting a stern test out in Worcester.

“We know that we face a huge challenge in Worcester on Saturday, against a Boland side that will be highly motivated to beat us.

“The challenge will be to raise our standards in all departments in order to come away with the result and maintain our winning start to the campaign,” he said.

DHL Western Province: 15 Craig Barry, 14 Logan Basson, 13 Duncan Saal, 12 Dan du Plessis, 11 Edwill van der Merwe, 10 Josh Stander, 9 Justin Phillips, 8 Jaco Coetzee, 7 Chris Massyn, 6 Luke Stringer (captain), 5 Johan du Toit, 4 Ernst van Rhyn, 3 Neethling Fouche, 2 Scarra Ntubeni, 1 Michael Kumbirai.
Replacements: 16 Chad Solomon, 17 Carlu Sadie, 18 Brendon Esterhuizen, 19 Juarno Augustus, 20 Steph de Wit, 21 Herschel Jantjies, 22 Tristan Leyds.

Pic: Stormers Twitter

Pic: Stormers Twitter

DHL Stormers players Nizaam Carr, Dewaldt Duvenage and Raymond Rhule have all been released early from their contracts to pursue opportunities abroad.

Loose forward Carr, scrumhalf Duvenage and wing Rhule will all leave the DHL Stormers at the end of the current Vodacom Super Rugby season, to join European clubs.

Carr, who came through the age-group ranks and finishes his time at DHL Newlands with just short of 100 DHL Stormers caps, will join English Premiership club Wasps.

Duvenage, who also played age-group rugby for DHL Western Province and made his DHL Stormers debut back in 2009, ends his second stint at DHL Newlands with over 90 caps for the DHL Stormers in total as he heads to Italian club Benetton Treviso.

Rhule joined the DHL Stormers at the start of the season and has scored five tries in his 12 appearances. He will join DHL Stormers prop JC Janse van Rensburg at French side Grenoble.

Director of Rugby Gert Smal said that all three players were granted early release from their contracts with the DHL Stormers.

“We appreciate what Nizaam, Dewaldt and Raymond have all contributed in their time here and wish them all the best for their future.

“Nizaam and Dewaldt both came through the system here and have been stalwarts for us over the years, while Raymond added another string to our bow this season.

Continue reading

Cape Town has again shown why it has become internationally recognised for its water-saving efforts. The average water consumption for the previous week was 505 million litres per day, which is 20 million litres per day down from the preceding week. Dam levels have increased by 2,9% to 24% due to the good rains of the past week. Read more below:

While we may be tempted to relax our guard as the weather cools and more rain falls, winter water saving remains vital. The less we use, the longer we can stretch the water supply in our dams in case we again receive below average rainfall.

The City is encouraged by the downward trend in water usage and urges Capetonians to continue using as little water as possible.

‘It is important that we carry on saving, irrespective of the weather, and continue to live the 50-litre life until the dams fill up sufficiently. The National Department of Water and Sanitation requires that we reduce our water usage to 450 million litres per day. There is a real threat that if we cannot lower usage further, then even tougher restrictions could be imposed by the national department,’ said the City’s Executive Deputy Mayor, Alderman Ian Neilson.

Continue reading

STATEMENT BY ALDERMAN IAN NEILSON, ACTING EXECUTIVE MAYOR

Since the tabling of the City’s draft budget for 2018/19 in March, further examination of the budget proposals by City officials and councillors has led to a reassessment of the budget proposals for the Water and Sanitation Department. The overall increase in the Department’s budget requirement has been reduced from 26.96% to 19.9%. This has been achieved primarily by rephasing the New Water Programme, including the savings which will result in the current financial year.

After careful and intense consideration of a record 40 000 comments which were received on the proposals in the City of Cape Town’s tabled (draft) budget, as well as various portfolio committee meetings, workshops and discussions, the reduced revenue requirement has resulted in substantial changes to the proposed water and sanitation tariff increases to be proposed for Council’s approval of the final Budget on 30 May 2018.

Among others, certain proposed domestic, non-indigent water tariff increases have been reduced:

  • Step 1 (less than 6 kl water usage per month): from 55,16% down to 10,10%
  • Step 2 (more than 6 kl but less than 10,5 kl water usage per month): from 6,26% down to 0%

Among others, certain proposed domestic non-indigent sanitation tariff increases have been reduced:

  • Step 1 (less than 4,2 kl per month): from 78,71% down to 9,87%
  • Step 2 (between 4,2 kl and 7,35 kl per month): from 23,74% down to 0%

Continue reading

Our collective consumption over the past week was 554 million litres of water per day. This is a 6,7% increase from consumption of 519 million litres last week. It places Cape Town 104 million litres above the usage target of 450 million litres per day that the National Department of Water and Sanitation has set as a requirement. 

Although there has been a slight increase in dam levels of 0,5% to an overall level of 21,4% as a result of some rainfall and lower evaporation rates, we need to continue to stretch the remaining water in our dams as we simply do not know how much rain we will receive over the winter months. As of this morning, our dams are just 0.1% below our water supply level on the same day last year.  This is an incredible achievement of water saving by the people of Cape Town, given that the dam levels at the start of the year were at 31% compared to 46% last year.

We do know that the majority of our water users are doing their best to lower usage to 50 litres per day to get to the requirement of 450 million litres, but there may be a bit of complacency creeping in. I would like to call on all Capetonians to remain on course with their savings efforts. As Cape Town has shown the rest of South Africa and the world already, we are capable of meeting challenges head-on and pulling together to do what is required.

From the City’s side, we continue to work 24/7 to help keep Day Zero away.

In addition to our internal water-saving efforts and our advanced pressure management programme, which is saving approximately 52 million litres of water per day, the water resilience programme will bring more of our augmentation projects online over the coming months. However, we still do not know how much rainfall we are likely to receive over the winter season, so we simply cannot afford to relax our savings efforts.

We encourage all of our water users who are living the #50LitreLife to show their commitment to saving our precious water by getting a free profile picture at http://bit.ly/2IzvM2t

Please visit www.capetown.gov.za/thinkwater for all water-related information.

8 May 2018

Release: immediately

Today, Tuesday 8 May 2018, the Provincial Standing Committee on Transport and Public Works, in the Western Cape Provincial Parliament, rejected the Administrative Adjudication of Road Traffic Offences (Aarto) Amendment Bill [B 38B–2015] (NCOP).

The Aarto Act of 1998 was implemented to ensure greater compliance with traffic laws and regulations by delegating the adjudication of traffic offences to an autonomous body and creating a merit based system. It has so far been piloted, quite problematically, in the Tshwane and Johannesburg Metropolitan Municipalities. The Amendment Bill, however, proposes a number of changes to the Act.

Now that the Provincial Standing Committee’s report will be submitted to the NCOP, I call on the Upper House of the Parliament of South Africa to reject this Bill. With more than 10 000 public comments received, along with five public hearings held during February 2018 in Bellville, Khayelitsha, Mossel Bay, Hermanus and Clanwilliam and the majority rejecting this Bill, it cannot be supported.

Some of the major concerns highlighted by the public, were the administering of finances at a national, rather than municipal level, and the lack of success where Aarto has previously been piloted. While a merit based system may be a good idea in theory; it risks the livelihoods of many South Africans who would be forced to drive without licenses. Instead, there should be harsher penalties for bad driving.

Aarto cannot be accepted in its current form. As the DA in the Western Cape we remain committed to promoting safe driving practices.

10 April 2018

Release: Immediate

Today in the Provincial Standing Committee on Environmental Affairs and Development Planning in the Western Cape Provincial Parliament, the Eden District Municipality revealed that 5 out of its 7 municipalities in the Eden District have committed to financing a new Regional Landfill facility in Mossel Bay.

This project, which will include a hazardous waste and green waste chipping or composting area, has a combined cost of R50, 5 million, which will be shared between the Bitou, George, Knysna, Mosselbay and Hessequa Municipalities. It is expected to be completed by October 2019.

As the DA Spokesperson on Environmental Affairs and Development, I am pleased with this development, as this will further assist the Municipalities to effectively deal with waste, while also protecting residents and the environment. Continue reading

The ultimate multisport challenge is back for its 9th edition and takes place at the Pick n Pay Knysna Oyster Festival between 29 June and 7 July. Financial Wellness company Momentum has been announced as the Title Sponsor of the BIG5 Challenge 2018. Entries are now open, and athletes can choose between the Momentum BIG5 and Momentum BIG5Lite.

The Momentum BIG5 Challenge has established itself as one of the most sought-after events for elite athletes and serious enthusiasts looking to push themselves to the limit.  As an extreme test of endurance, skill and stamina the BIG5 Challenge events give hard-core athletes the chance to enjoy five full-on sports events over the 10 days of the festival. Completing entrants will have covered more than 150 km’s in running, swimming and cycling disciplines. Ranked by their cumulative time, the athlete who completes all five events in the least amount of time will be the winner.

Momentum also sponsors the Momentum Knysna Cycle Tour on the opening weekend and the Momentum Knysna Forest Marathon on the second weekend.

The BIG5 and BIG5Lite participants will start and finish with the Momentum Knysna Cycle Tour MTB and the Momentum Knysna Forest Marathon’s half marathon respectively, and complete additional events that take place during the week between the two events.

Each event comprises five challenging events, with BIG5Lite offering event options. The below tables illustrate the makeup of each event:

Momentum BIG5 Continue reading

The following budget speech was delivered by the Executive Mayor this morning during a full sitting of council. Read more below:

Mr Speaker, in tabling the draft 2018/19 budget today we are also embarking on a process where we are going to communities to ask all residents to have their say and make comments on the proposed budget.

The total proposed budget for the upcoming financial year is a total of R49,1 billion with R39,8 billion on the operating budget and R9,2 billion for capital expenditure.

This is significantly higher than previous financial years where the capital budget was in the region of R6 billion.

One of the key major allocations for the 2018/19 financial year is the R9,8 billion which has been earmarked for water and electricity bulk purchases from the Department of Water and Sanitation and Eskom, respectively.

The major capital expenditure planned in 2018/19 sees R5 billion allocated to Informal Settlements, Water and Waste Services (54,9% of the capital budget) R1,7 billion for Transport and Urban Development and R1,1 billion for Energy.

Some of the most significant projects will receive the following allocations: Continue reading

News
baydu.co.za RUNNER UP in TWO categories! Lifestyle and Entertainment!
View My Stats