Tweeter button
Facebook button

play slot games online at Slots Dad

STATEMENT BY THE CITY’S EXECUTIVE MAYOR, PATRICIA DE LILLE

At the Council meeting in May this year, I announced a new strategic approach to the drought: building water resilience. It signalled a new approach to risk and a new appreciation of the unpredictability of the impacts of climate change.

Over many decades, engineers and planners built the water supply infrastructure in Cape Town and in the surrounding areas that has served us well. This infrastructure and the associated water management techniques have previously navigated Cape Town through drought periods. The drought we are currently experiencing is the most stubborn, intense and protracted in recent history. Prior to the onset of the drought, the City was using water well under its registered allocation determined by the National Department of Water and Sanitation. Despite our population growth almost doubling since 1996, our water demand has remained relatively flat.

As a proactive government, we have had water restrictions in place since 2005, which were intensified from the beginning of 2016 – over 20 months ago. These restrictions have become progressively tighter, which is the accepted technique of matching demand with availability during extended periods of low rainfall. Without these restrictions, Cape Town may have run out of water by this time.

Up until May this year, the City’s approach to responding to the drought was based principally on driving down demand and supplementing supply with limited new augmentation schemes. The approach, based on projections from hydrological and dam modelling, had worked in the past. It did not provide us with sufficient confidence on this occasion. Continue reading

It's only fair to share...Share on FacebookTweet about this on Twitter

DHL Western Province U19 coach Nazeem Adams has made four changes for the encounter against Leopards U19 at Brookside on Friday.

There are three changes up front and one in the backline as DHL Western Province U19 look to take their unbeaten run this season to six games.

Hooker Schalk Erasmus and lock BJ Dixon are back in the mix after missing the resounding victory against Eastern Province U19 last week, with Jesse Johnson shifting from lock to blindside flank and Shaine Orderson on the replacements bench.

The only change to the backline sees scrumhalf Labib Kannemeyer come back into the starting line-up after featuring as a replacement last week.

Adams said that he is grateful to be able to keep continuity with combinations as his team look to build on their unbeaten start to the campaign.

“It is vital that we take the momentum we have already created forward and make further improvements to our game. Continue reading

It's only fair to share...Share on FacebookTweet about this on Twitter
Pic: zimbio

Pic: zimbio

The other change in the pack that started the third Test against France in Johannesburg in June, sees the inclusion of experienced tighthead prop Coenie Oosthuizen in place of Ruan Dreyer.

Springbok coach Allister Coetzee made only one change to the backline, with scrumhalf Ross Cronje resuming the No 9 duties from Francois Hougaard.

Hougaard and Du Preez are joined on the bench by experienced prop Trevor Nyakane, as well as Curwin Bosch, the promising young Cell C Sharks and Junior Springbok flyhalf, who will make his Springbok debut should he run onto the field on Saturday.

“Uzair is a very versatile loose forward and the added advantage is that he is also an excellent option in the lineout,” explained Coetzee.

“Coenie has played consistently well this season for the Cell C Sharks and he performed well for us whenever he came off the bench in the French series, while Trevor has worked extremely hard and deserves his opportunity.”

Coetzee said that Bosch had slotted well into the Springbok environment during his stay of almost two weeks with the squad in Port Elizabeth. The youngster also attended the Boks’ pre-season training camp in April.

Continue reading

It's only fair to share...Share on FacebookTweet about this on Twitter

Cobus Wiese will make his senior debut for DHL Western Province against the Xerox Golden Lions at DHL Newlands on Friday night.

Having featured for the DHL Stormers already this year, the 20-year-old utility forward returns from a shoulder injury to start at flank for the Currie Cup encounter, which kicks off at 19h00 on Friday.

There are just two changes to the starting line-up that did duty in the victory against the Vodacom Blue Bulls last week, with DHL Western Province Head Coach John Dobson opting for continuity.

The only change to the backline sees Dillyn Leyds come back into the fold on the wing in place of the injured Bjorn Basson.

Dobson said that his team will have to be at their best at DHL Newlands on Friday after a short week of preparation.

“This is another real challenge for this team, but the players have embraced that and we are excited about taking another step forward in our game.

“We are proud of our record at DHL Newlands and would like to continue getting positive results at home,” he said.

DHL Western Province: 15 SP Marais, 14 Seabelo Senatla, 13 EW Viljoen, 12 Huw Jones, 11 Dillyn Leyds, 10 Damian Willemse, 9 Jano Vermaak, 8 Nizaam Carr, 7 Cobus Wiese (DHL Western Province debut), 6 Jaco Coetzee, 5 JD Schickerling, 4 Chris van Zyl (captain), 3 Wilco Louw, 2 Scarra Ntubeni, 1 JC Janse van Rensburg.
Replacements: 16 Ramone Samuels, 17 Caylib Oosthuizen, 18 Michael Kumbirai, 19 Eddie Zandberg, 20 Steph de Wit, 21 Dewaldt Duvenage, 22 Dan Kriel.

It's only fair to share...Share on FacebookTweet about this on Twitter

Presented by The Waterfront Theatre College

23 August – 2 September 2017

The Masque Theatre, 37 Main Rd, Muizenburg

Inspired  by Hollywood Motion Pictures, the Waterfront Theatre College  presents Cinematic Motion, a dance compilation of  many favourite  exciting movie moments. From Tap to Broadway and Classical to Cabaret, the varied origianl choreogrpahy is  by Shona Brabant, William Jones, Marguerite Jones, James Bradley, Simone Marshall and Brigitte Reeve Taylor.  The season runs from 23 August to 2 September 2017 at the Masque Theatre, Muizenburg, Cape Town.

With 50 dancers and 500 costumes, the production showcases  movies  such as ‘An American in Paris’, ‘Chorus Line’, ‘Romeo and Juliet’, ‘Twilight’, ‘The Danish Girl’ and ‘The Nightmare before Christmas’.

In addition to highlighting the best of the college’s dance faculty, Cinematic Motion is a fundraiser for The Waterfront Theatre College Bursary Fund which supports the future generation of young Artists. All dancers in the show  are first  to fourth year students.

Performances are Wednesday to Saturday 23 August – 2 September at 20:00 with Matinee Performances on Saturday 26th August and 2nd September 15:00.  Continue reading

It's only fair to share...Share on FacebookTweet about this on Twitter

15 August 2017

Train cancellations in the Western Cape, have risen from 3% in October 2015, to well over 15% by July 2017.

This sharp rise is extremely alarming and I will therefore be submitting a parliamentary question to the Western Cape Minister of Public Works and Transport, Donald Grant, in order to ascertain what measures PRASA will be putting into place to improve the reliability of the Metrorail service in the Western Cape.

Railway remains the backbone of commuter public transport in the Western Cape, however, it is continuously unreliable. Currently, more than 620 000 passengers make use of Metrorail across the Province, equating to 48% of the total commuter traffic. At today’s Standing Committee on Transport and Public Works, PRASA briefed the Standing Committee on the current state the Metrorail Service.

Crime remains a massive hindrance with regards to Metrorail’s ability to be more efficient. In October, 2015, train punctuality, or the percentage of trains on time, was at 80%. However, in July 2017 train punctuality dropped to approximately 65%. During the same period, 101 train coaches were lost due to damages sustained by fire, equating to as much as R312 million. Continue reading

It's only fair to share...Share on FacebookTweet about this on Twitter

15 August 2017

The DA in the Western Cape is seeking clarity from the findings of the forensic report into the cause of the recent devastating fire that ravaged Knysna and other parts of the Southern Cape. Yesterday, 14 August 2017, the Knysna Fire Chief, Clinton Manual, provided an update to the media on the possible origin of the fire, stating that it could have been due to human involvement, which was not necessarily deliberate.

The report by Fire Chief Manual is welcoming, as it brings us closer to finding the actual cause of the fire, which led to one of the biggest disasters in the history of South Africa. Damage to infrastructure and 14 000 hectares of forest and fynbos in the area have been estimated at over R 300 million. Seven people also tragically lost their lives.

I will invite the Knysna Fire Chief, along with Disaster Management Services to the Provincial Standing Committee on Local Government to present these findings to us. This will allow us to engage with the report and better acquaint ourselves with its findings moving forward. Furthermore, it presents us with an opportunity to give those who were affected by this disaster, especially families who lost loved ones, some form of closure. Continue reading

It's only fair to share...Share on FacebookTweet about this on Twitter

The Springboks have released Warrick Gelant (fullback), Lizo Gqoboka (prop, both Vodacom Blue Bulls), Oupa Mohoje (flank), Francois Venter (centre, both Toyota Free State Cheetahs) and Dillyn Leyds (wing, DHL Western Province) to their provincial teams for Currie Cup duty, it was confirmed on Tuesday.

The five players are members of the Springbok squad who are currently fine-tuning their preparations for the weekend’s opening Castle Lager Rugby Championship match against Argentina.

They will be released to their respective Provinces on Tuesday afternoon.

Saturday’s first round fixture of the 2017 Castle Lager Rugby Championship campaign starts at 17h05 in the Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium.

The Springbok match day squad will be named on Thursday while the 28 man squad that leaves for Salta, Argentina on Wednesday 23 August will be announced next Tuesday, 22 August 2017.

It's only fair to share...Share on FacebookTweet about this on Twitter

News

baydu.co.za RUNNER UP in TWO categories! Lifestyle and Entertainment!
View My Stats