Springbok Sevens coach Neil Powell named Francois Hougaard, Rosko Specman, Philip Snyman and Dylan Sage as the changes to his squad that will travel to France on Sunday to contest the HSBC Paris Sevens, to be played at the Stade Jean Bouin in the French capital from 13 to 15 May.
They replace Siviwe Soyizwapi, Branco du Preez, Chris Dry and Stephan Dippenaar respectively from the side that won bronze in Singapore last month.
Hougaard returns to the Springboks Sevens team following a stint with Worcester Warriors and Snyman, who picked up a head-knock in Hong Kong, now fully fit and again takes over from Dry, who replaced him in Singapore.
The return of Rosko Specman, who last played in Vancouver, means that Du Preez misses out on the French tournament. Sage also last played in Vancouver and missed out in Hong Kong and Singapore when Dippenaar was given a run for the first time in the current series.
Powell explained that he is looking to rotate a number of players after Paris, with some changes expected again for the HSBC London Sevens in two weeks’ time.
“It is important for us to do well and try and win the series, but we also need to look at the welfare of regulars with Rio in mind, so I am planning to replace a number of these guys travelling to Paris for the London tournament,” Powell said. Continue reading
The Junior Springbok training squad on Friday concluded the first phase of their preparations for the World Rugby Under-20 Championship with a tough hit-out against the DHL Western Province Institute.
The two teams went hammer and tongs in windy conditions with the WP youngsters providing SA U20 coach Dawie Theron’s side with a proper test four days before the final 28-man squad is named to travel to England in a few weeks’ time.
“Perhaps the first two of our chukka-sessions went too well and some of the guys may have been complacent today, while our handling and lineouts were not good enough,” said Theron after his team’s training session in Stellenbosch. Continue reading
The City’s home-based caregiver programme, now in its third year, is struggling to keep up with the demand from senior citizens who are frail or bedridden. Read more below.
The City of Cape Town’s Social Development and Early Childhood Development Directorate has recruited and trained nearly 400 people in this financial year to participate in its home-based care programme.
The Directorate started the initiative in 2014 as part of the Vulnerable Groups Programme, to lend a hand to elderly residents in need of assistance around the home, but also companionship. The home-based caregivers programme employs workers through the City’s Expanded Public Works Programme (EPWP) who render social care services through psychosocial support, companionship, housekeeping and light household duties as well as referrals to other social services. The caregivers offer their services to seniors in their home environment and at old-age homes, clinics and hospitals. Continue reading
The Vodacom Bulls will be chasing a fourth away win when they face the Brumbies on Friday morning at 11h45 (SA time) in the GIO Stadium in Canberra. This will be their second fixture of their three-match Australian trip.
Success for the Pretoria side will allow them to leapfrog the DHL Stormers as leaders on the South African conference standings. They have named an unchanged side for the Brumbies clash.
As things stand, the DHL Stormers have amassed 29 points from nine matches, while the Vodacom Bulls have 28 from eight games.
The DHL Stormers and Emirates Lions are two of four teams who are enjoying byes this coming weekend. The Jaguares from Argentina and Australian side the Rebels, are the other two teams who are not in action.
The remaining three South African sides are all involved in Saturday fixtures. The Waratahs welcome the Toyota Cheetahs to the Allianz Stadium in Sydney on Saturday morning, where the two sides will kick off at 11h45 SA time. This will be the Bloemfontein side’s third away match in a row. Continue reading
This from timeslive.co.za:
A R50 donation that snowballed into a social media fundraising campaign for a Cape Town waitress has delivered R44,777 to the woman who was humiliated by #RhodesMustFall activist Ntokozo Qwabe.
Sihle Ngobese handed R50 to Ashleigh Schultz‚ 23‚ when he tracked her down at Obz Cafe in Observatory‚ after hearing how Qwabe and a friend‚ Wandile Dlamini‚ had reduced her to tears last week.
Instead of leaving her a tip‚ Dlamini wrote on their bill:”We will give tip when you return the land.”
Ngobese‚ who is the spokesperson for Western Cape Social Development MEC Albert Fritz but made the gesture in his personal capacity‚ and a friend Roman Cabanac‚ who hosts a CliffCentral podcast‚ launched a Twitter fundraising campaign for Schultz.
He confirmed on Tuesday that the funds were on their way to Schultz‚ whose mother has cancer.
Full story here:
The City of Cape Town has started renovations on a historic cottage in the Bo-Kaap which will enable the elderly tenant to take ownership of the property, as the law requires. The City hopes that this could lead the way for the resolution of similar cases which the City has been investigating. Read more below:
The property, one of some 20-odd similar properties in the area, was expropriated by the then Council under the Slums Act of 1934. The owners were ‘permitted’ to stay and were charged a very minimal rental in exchange for losing ownership of their homes.
An agreement was reached with the National Monuments Council (NMC) at the time that ‘tenants’ could buy back their homes at a minimal selling price on condition that tenants restored the properties to standards stipulated by the NMC. Continue reading
This from mediatakeout.com:
Kim Kardashian has said OPENLY that her idol is Elizabeth Taylor – a woman known for marrying EIght TIMES, and cheating on ALL her husbands.
That didn’t stop Kanye West from marrying Kim, and putting two babies inside her. Well he may be realizing his worst nightmare. According to the NY Daily News, Kanye caught Kim flirting with her security guard. Kanye reportedly flew “into a rage” and fired the guard on the spot.
The security guard – who is happily married – denies that there was anything inappropriate with the conversation. But here’s what the NY Daily News has to say about it:
“Something happened at the Waldorf Astoria where Kanye just lost it,” said a source who was on the 36th floor of the hotel Monday afternoon when West allegedly got upset.
His rage was aimed at Steve Stanulis — a bodyguard well-known to entertainment industry insiders, thanks to a gig that’s seen him looking after stars, including Leonardo DiCaprio and Alanis Morissette.
According to a second source, an assistant from Kim Kardashian and West’s camp called down to the pair’s security detail, asking that one of them bring up a package that was slated to arrive from a local store around 1:30 p.m. When Stanulis volunteered for the task, West, who was in an adjacent room in the same hallway, was heard asking loudly why the muscle for hire was chatting with his wife outside her door and saying, “This isn’t right!”
Full story here: