STATEMENT BY EXECUTIVE MAYOR PATRICIA DE LILLE
It is with overwhelming sorrow that we have learnt about the tragedy which has befallen the family of Mr Patrick Abrahams of Eastridge, Mitchells Plain. A fire led to the death of three of his children (aged 3, 13 and 18 years old), his three grandchildren (18 months, 6 and 7 years old), his son-in-law (35) and a family friend aged 14 years old.
We know that nothing can ease their pain in the midst of this heartbreak, but we are attempting to assist this family in an effort to ease some of the strain. The City’s disaster response team will be assisting the family with food parcels, blankets, clothing, vanity packs and building material.
Our thoughts are with Mr Abrahams and his family during this time of immeasurable loss. We also carry the four family members who are still in hospital in our thoughts and wish them a swift recovery.
It is my hope that the Abrahams family will find strength and comfort from their loved ones and all fellow Capetonians, during this time of bereavement.
Spencer Ackerman has spoken with a US official who offers a more cautious early analysis of the attack, suggesting a hate-crime motive. Bill Nelson has just said “there is some connection to Islamic radicalism” but cautioned: “we still don’t know the facts”.
A knowledgeable US official told the Guardian that an unfolding federal investigation was in the earliest stages, but an initial hypothesis regarding the shooter’s motive leaned closer to a hate crime than an act of terrorism.
“The idea of it being terrorism is not off the table, but it’s probably not the principal approach. There are other reasons to believe it was motivated toward a very specific kind of community, obviously,” said the official, who would not be identified by name or agency in discussing a fast-moving investigation.
That investigation is still determining if the shooting was “terrorism or a massive, massive hate crime,” the official said.
Full story here:
Junior Springbok coach Dawie Theron called for his team to lift their performance significantly in the World Rugby Under-20 Championship in Manchester to keep alive their hopes of winning the title.
The Junior Springboks suffered a 19-13 defeat against Argentina on Saturday at the AJ Bell Stadium in their second pool match. This followed a 59-19 victory against Japan in the opening round.
The team will face France in their final round-robin match on Wednesday, and with New Zealand, Australia, South Africa and Wales all tied on six log points after the first two rounds, it could be a battle between these sides for the final semi-final berth.
“We have to lift our game significantly in the match against France,” said Theron. “The performance against Argentina was not good enough and we paid a high price for that. Continue reading
The SA Rugby Sevens Academy and SA Women’s Sevens Select squad were crowned champions in Italy on Saturday when both teams won their respective tournaments at the Roma Sevens, played in Rome.
The men’s team won their fourth consecutive title by beating Brazil’s national team 19-7 in the final, whilst the women’s team won their second invitational title by beating Kenya 40-0 in the final. The team also won the Hong Kong Invitational tournament two months ago.
After their respective finals, Werner Kok and Nadine Roos were also named Player of the Finals. Kok showed that he had fully recovered from his knee injury sustained last year and Roos scored 30 points in the Women’s final, scoring four tries and kicking five conversions.
Springbok Sevens coach Neil Powell travelled to Rome to follow the progress of Werner Kok and Frankie Horne amongst others and afterwards said he was happy with what he saw. Powell will name his provisional Olympic Games squad next week. Continue reading
This from jacarandafm.com:
The African National Congress says it is shocked and saddened at news of the death of former SABC board member Hope Zinde.
ANC spokesperson Khusela Sangoni says the organisation will always remember Zinde for her passion and dedication to her craft.
“We will remember her dedication to mentor young and aspiring journalists and communicators in her field. We are also sad and shocked by the circumstances of her death” she says.
North West police have confirmed they are investigating a case of murder after a woman’s body was found at Pecanwood Estate in Hartebeespoort Dam.
Provincial police spokesperson Sabata Mokgwabone says the woman was found in a boot of a car and it is believed she was murdered between Wednesday and Saturday.
Full story here:
“If more Englishmen do not come out & unequivocally condemn this violence, people will think those drunk extremists represent all of us.”
On Saturday, French police in Marseille clashed with English and Russian soccer fans who had been rioting in the city in the lead up to a UEFA European Championship match.
Several people were arrested and injured, according to police, who used tear gas and water cannon to break up the bottle-throwing rioters.
Hayder al-Khoei, research director at England’s Centre for Academic Shi’a Studies, was watching the unrest unfold from London when he had an idea.
Full story here:
Junior Springbok coach Dawie Theron on Saturday attributed his team’s 19-13 defeat against Argentina in the World Rugby Under-20 Championship at the wet AJ Bell Stadium in Manchester, England, to errors and poor discipline.
The Junior Boks trailed 13-6 at the break, and despite trying hard to force their way back into the match, mistakes at crucial times and ill-discipline resulted in the team suffering a disappointing 19-13 defeat.
“It was a disappointing performance from the team,” said Theron. “We created opportunities, but we were unable to capitalise on them due to the errors we made throughout the clash, and our discipline didn’t help either.
“At this level you cannot receive two yellow cards and concede several kickable penalties and expect to win the match. We have a lot to work on before our next game against France.”
The first half proved to be a war of attrition as both teams tried to get onto the front foot by running directly on attack and supporting this with a solid defensive effort in which they put their bodies on the line. Continue reading
On Saturday morning at 08:24 seven people died when a house in Macbeth Street in Eastridge Mitchells Plain burned down. Of the seven, five were children with two burnt beyond recognition. The other two deceased were adults, one male and one female. Five others adults were critically injured and rushed to Mitchells Plain District Hospital by Western Cape Government Health Emergency Medical Services.
Springbok pivot Pat Lambie has been ruled out of the second test match of the Castle Lager Incoming Series against Ireland next weekend after being concussed in the series opener at DHL Newlands.
Lambie was injured in a tackle that saw Irish flanker CJ Stander being red-carded for dangerous play in the first half of the match, won 26-20 by Ireland. Stander will appear before a disciplinary hearing in Cape Town on Sunday morning.
“The provisional diagnosis is that Pat was concussed and although he is ok, will not be considered for next weekend,” Springbok coach Allister Coetzee said after the match. A call on a possible replacement will be made later.
Lambie was injured in the first half of the match that saw the Springboks battling to find momentum, something Coetzee admitted as being a problem for his side.
“This performance lacked the standards expected of a Springbok team. We are very, very disappointed with this performance and the result, it was not how we want to perform as a team. We take responsibility in the fact that we have not delivered today and can only promise hard work to fix this. We will be better next week,” Coetzee said.
Coetzee applauded the effort from the Irish. Continue reading
Springbok captain, Adriaan Strauss, said the Springboks are determined to lay down a marker in their first Castle Lager Incoming Series Test against Ireland on Saturday at DHL Newlands in Cape Town.
The Boks embark on a new era under coach Allister Coetzee, who will be in charge of his first Test as head coach since his appointment as successor to Heyneke Meyer.
Strauss, in turn, will become the 57th player to lead out the Springboks as captain on Saturday, with the 30-year old Vodacom Bulls hooker playing in his 55th Test for his country.
Speaking to media on Friday, Strauss said the Boks had set their site on a good performance in front of the Cape Town crowd. According to the Bok skipper he and his team mates were looking forward to the challenge.
“It’s the start of a new journey for this team, so we definitely want to set down a marker and standard for ourselves,” said Strauss. “Of course the result will always be important, but it’s more about the way we want to play and the way forward.” Continue reading