Tweeter button
Facebook button

play slot games online at Slots Dad

City Law Enforcement staff were instrumental in apprehending a gang of armed robbers this morning who had stolen a hefty sum of money from the local Engen garage.

The City of Cape Town’s Law Enforcement staff based in Bonteheuwel had an eventful start to their day when officers chased down a gang of armed robbers.Between 07:00 and 08:00 this morning, one of the Law Enforcement officers was alerted to a suspicious group loitering in the vicinity of the Engen garage in Bonteheuwel. He sourced back-up and just as the officers arrived at the garage, five men came storming out of the premises. The officers gave chase, during which one of the suspects opened fire on them. The officers returned fire and managed to catch up to two of the suspects (see first photo above). One was found in possession of just over R20 000, while the other had approximately R2 500 on him. Members of the public then informed officers that a red Ford Laser was involved in the robbery. Officers traced the vehicle to Langa and, with the assistance of the South African Police Service K9 unit, they arrested the driver and recovered a firearm. At least four suspects are still on the run. The garage proprietor has indicated that at least R300 000 was stolen during the incident.

‘This was a very daring robbery because our Law Enforcement base is literally next door to the garage. The officers are to be commended for their quick reaction to the concerns of the public and also for putting their lives on the line to catch those responsible. This success would not have been possible without the valuable information received from the public and I tip my hat to them,’ said the City’s Mayoral Committee Member for Safety and Security, Alderman JP Smith.

On Easter Sunday, two City of Cape Town Law Enforcement officers saved a woman and a young boy when they came across a kidnapping in progress along Baden Powell Drive.

The officers were on beach patrol along the False Bay coastline and while leaving Sonwabe beach they noticed a white Toyota Tazz speeding past and a female passenger screaming at them while trying to open the car door.

The officers gave chase in the direction of Muizenberg and, after a few kilometres, the driver made a U-turn. One of the officers jumped out of the patrol vehicle to approach the driver, but he accelerated once again and tried to run the officer over. The chase then resumed in the direction of Mitchells Plain. The driver turned into Eisleben Road where back-up vehicles were waiting for him. He lost control of the vehicle and jumped a kerb, bringing the vehicle to a stop.

The driver, from Nyanga East, was arrested on charges of kidnapping and attempted murder (see second photo above). The woman informed officers that he is her ex-boyfriend and lured her into the vehicle under the premise of returning her cellphone. He then sped off with her in the vehicle, as well as a four-year-old boy who she was babysitting. The woman further claimed that the man had assaulted her and threatened to kill her.

‘This was a very harrowing experience for everyone involved and one can only be grateful that it ended with no serious injuries. I want to commend the officers for their vigilance in spotting the woman in distress, but also their bravery and selfless action in dealing with the matter. They have done the uniform proud,’ said Alderman Smith.

Elsewhere, the City’s Metro Police arrested 16 suspects on drug-related charges in recent days and confiscated various quantities of narcotics as well as more than R5 000 in cash. In Dunoon, officers arrested 17 suspects on public violence charges linked to protest action.

Meanwhile, the City’s Traffic Service arrested 21 suspects, most of them for drunk driving, and issued nearly 4 500 fines.

It's only fair to share...Share on Facebook
Tweet about this on Twitter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News RUNNER UP in TWO categories! Lifestyle and Entertainment!
View My Stats