- To fetch school children for the lessons that are facilitated in the Garden. We refer to these groups as “guided”.
- To fetch young children from Educare Centres as well as senior citizens. We call this the “self-guided” groups because we only provide the transport – they go into the Garden on their own.
The transport that we offer senior citizen groups is so popular that we are normally fully booked by midyear and need to start a waiting list for the following year from that point on. Jackie, our admin assistant, takes the bookings and can be contacted at 021 799 8670 or firstname.lastname@example.org Senior Citizens
o The cost of hiring the bus is as follows:
– The hiring of the Outreach Bus is managed by the Biodiversity Education and Empowerment Directorate based at the Gold Fields Environmental Education Centre in the Kirstenbosch Garden.
– The bus fare is R10, R12 or R15 per person (i.e. depending on the distance that the bus needs to travel).
– For every 25 seniors, one ‘non-senior’ assistant or helper is allowed to travel free of charge. Other ‘non-senior’ assistants or helpers would need to pay the bus fare.
– The bus must transport a minimum of 45 people per trip in order to cover the costs of the petrol. If a group is fewer than 45 people, then the group needs to pay for the minimum of 45 people.
– The bus can transport a maximum of 65 people only.
o Entrance fees for the Garden:
– These fees are managed by the Garden at the ticket offices / gates to the Garden and not by the Biodiversity Education and Empowerment Directorate.
– The Kirstenbosch Garden offers free entry to senior citizens on Tuesdays (except if the Tuesday is a public holiday).
– The senior citizen has to present his / her Identity Document to the staff at the gate in order to gain free entry to the Garden.
– For senior citizens transported to the Garden on the Outreach Bus, the Garden allows one ‘non-senior’ assistant or helper per 25 senior citizens free entry to the Garden. Other ‘non-senior’ assistants or helpers would need to pay the entrance fee to the Garden (which is currently R55.00 per person).