Who will take the crown in March next year?
The Top 26 Miss South Africa semi-finalists – who are vying for the title of Miss South Africa 2017 – have been revealed.
They will compete for the prestigious title at the Sun City Superbowl on March 25 in an event which will be televised live and simulcast on M-Net and Mzansi Magic.
The Miss South Africa 2017 semi-finalists are an impressive group. Among them are a medical doctor and a speech therapist; several law students; one about to qualify as an engineer; the owner of a construction company and a news reader on Soweto TV.Two were Miss South Africa finalists (placed in the Top 12) in 2014 and 2015; one was awarded her Protea colours in rhythmic gymnastics at the age of 13 and was a gold medal winner at the All African Championships while another contestant is the daughter of a legendary former Bafana Bafana soccer captain.
The semi-finalists come from six of the country’s nine provinces: 14 are from Gauteng, six from the Western Cape, three from Kwa-Zulu Natal and one each from the Eastern Cape, Limpopo and Mpumalanga.
In Gauteng they come from Alexandra, Soweto, Johannesburg, Lenasia, Pretoria, Springs, Benoni and Krugersdorp and in the Western Cape semi-finalists hail from Cape Town, Herold’s Bay, Atlantis and Sedgefield. Kwa-Zulu Natal contestants come from Durban, Mtunzini and Port Shepstone.
They are (in alphabetical order):
- Adè van Heerden – Herold’s Bay, Western Cape
- Boipelo Mabe – Alexandra, Gauteng
- Callie-Jo Bouman – Bellville, Cape Town, Western Cape
- Chante Holloway – Atlantis, Western Cape
- Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters – Sedgefield, Western Cape
- Devoney Crossman – Greenstone, Johannesburg, Gauteng
- Iman Mkwanazi – Lenasia, Gauteng
- Jessica Tovey – Randparkridge, Johannesburg, Gauteng
- Kayla Malherbe – Mtunzini, Kwa Zulu Natal
- Keipeile Dintoe – Saulsville, Pretoria, Gauteng
- Lou-Marie Taljaard – Bellville, Cape Town, Western Cape
- Michelle Kruger – Witbank, Mpumalanga
- Milanie Cilliers – Mokopane, Limpopo
- Nicole van Niekerk – Môregloed, Pretoria, Gauteng
- Nompumelelo Mampholo – Diepkloof, Soweto, Gauteng
- Ntombikayise Msimango – Springs, Gauteng
- Odirile Sepeng – Mabopane, Pretoria, Gauteng
- Olin-Shae de la Cruz – Claremont, Cape Town, Western Cape
- Priyeshka Lutchman – Yellowwood Park, Durban, Kwa Zulu Natal
- Saskia Wagner – Honeydew, Gauteng
- Shané Naidoo – Benoni, Gauteng
- Shelbe Pretorius – Pinehaven, Krugersdorp, Gauteng
- Shenai Bridglall – Port Shepstone, Kwa Zulu Natal
- Tshegofatso Monggae – Dobsonville, Soweto, Gauteng
- Yuta Raubenheimer – Kameeldrift, Pretoria, Gauteng
- Zozibini Tunzi – East London/Tsolo, Eastern Cape
“We have a very talented and diverse Top 26 this year, a group of young women who are passionate about competing and who have the intelligence, dedication and attitude to take the crown,” says Claudia Henkel, PR Manager: Sun International, licence holders of Miss South Africa.
Suzette van der Merwe, Executive: Commercial Communications for headline sponsor Cell C adds: “The competition attracted high calibre entrants this year. We believe these young women are passionate about the opportunities associated with wearing the Miss South Africa crown and do their country proud.”
The young woman who is crowned Miss South Africa 2017 will automatically become the spokesperson for the Cell C Take a Girl Child to Work Day initiative.
Ntandoyenkosi Kunene, the current Miss South Africa, will crown her successor at the 2017 pageant. She will be leaving at the end of the year to compete in the Miss World and Miss Universe pageants.
Miss South Africa is the most prestigious pageant in South Africa, boasting a Miss Universe and three Miss Worlds, and the women who have worn the crown are icons in many different spheres of life. That is the hope, and dream, of every one of the Top 26 semi-finalists: to have her portrait hung in that hall of fame.
Miss South Africa 2017 will receive R1-million in cash from sponsors Sun International and Cell C as well as a bouquet of prizes that will elevate the competition to one of the richest pageants in the world.
The Miss South Africa Pageant is a proud collaboration between Sun International and Cell C. The new Miss South Africa 2017 will be crowned at Sun City on March 25 and simulcast live on Mzansi Magic (Channel 161) and M-Net (Channel 101).
- Website: www.misssa.co.za
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MsSouthAfrica
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/Official_MissSA