- The new white colourway is a metaphorical white flag to the oceans and a wake-up call to the world about the threat of coral bleaching
- Parley editions of UltraBOOST, UltraBOOST X and UltraBOOST Uncaged fuse performance with purpose
- Made with Parley Ocean Plastic™, the latest white colourway will be available worldwide from June 28th
- adidas and Parley to celebrate World Oceans Day week with a digital run which runners all over the world can join to show their support. Register here: adidas.com/runfortheoceans
adidas unveiled a new white Parley edition of its pinnacle running footwear models UltraBOOST, UltraBOOST X and UltraBOOST Uncaged, injecting purpose into style and performance. The partnership between adidas and Parley sees adidas’ iconic performance-led designs re-modelled using Parley Ocean Plastic™.
While the Parley collection released in May was inspired by the blue colour of the Oceans, the new colourway recalls the coral bleaching crisis threatening the oceans, and is also symbolic of the white flag humanity should raise in order to make peace with the oceans, to end marine plastic pollution with a collaborative approach: The Parley AIR Strategy which stands for ‘Avoiding’ the use of plastic, ‘Intercepting’ plastic waste and ‘Redesigning’ the plastic material itself.
Reusing an average of 11 plastic bottles per pair in the upper, UltraBOOST Parley, UltraBOOST X Parley and UltraBOOST Uncaged Parley also feature laces, heel webbing, heel counter, heel lining and sock liner covers made from recycled PET material. Delivering elite performance remains integral to design, meaning that the adidas Parley collection fuses superior functionality and style with a definitive purpose – to raise awareness of marine pollution and evoke positive change.
Key benefits include:
- Primeknit – wraps the foot to supply lightweight comfort and fit; made from up to 95% Parley Ocean Plastic™
- Heel fit counter system – supportive heel construction, designed to enable free motion of the Achilles; made from natural materials
- Torsion system – made from a renewable source, the system supports the foot’s natural flex from heel to toe
- Rubber outsole – made with natural material, superior grip that adapts to every runner’s foot strike by moving in harmony with BOOST to provide a smoother and more flexible ride
- BOOST – industry-leading, ultra-responsive comfort and cushioning that stores and returns energy every time the foot hits the ground; made with renewable energy
- Parley UltraBOOST X also features the distinctive Adaptive Arch, ensuring freedom of movement during a run, for increased comfort and support
The shoes are also equipped with an NFC Chip – a unique digital experience to learn more about the adidas x Parley partnership as well as the Parley A.I.R. Strategy.
Senior manager for adidas Running SA, Pieter Warnich said: “As a brand we believe that through sport we have the power to foster eco-innovation and enable our customers to make a difference. The new white colourway we are introducing across the adidas x Parley collection aims to make not only a style statement but an environmental one too, and the colourway is symbolic of the peace we need to make with the oceans. We call you to help make a difference by assisting in waging the battle against pollution of the oceans”.
Parley for the Oceans Founder, Cyrill Gutsch commented: “Every second breath we take is generated by the Oceans. Still, we are polluting them with plastic, killing their life, driving majestic creatures into extinction. Our attacks bring the largest reefs down, make them lose their color as if they raise the white flag of surrender. Let’s make peace with the Oceans and secure the future of mankind. This new shoe is not just an item. It’s a symbol. A new way to link products to the ocean cause.”
Additionally, as part of its commitment to creating a global movement, adidas has launched adidas x Parley Run for the Oceans, a new movement which uses the power of sport to inspire collective change in the world, one mile at a time.
adidas is calling on its global community to join the adidas x Parley Run for the Oceans digital event – hosted by Runtastic, and taking place around World Oceans Day week 2017 (5-11th June). Runners are invited to show their commitment to the cause by joining the run – from the city streets, the beach, or wherever they happen to be during that week.