Tweeter button
Facebook button

play slot games online at Slots Dad

The City continues to bring financial relief to vulnerable residents through its indigent grants and urges all eligible residents across the metro to apply for the grants available to them. Read more below:

The City of Cape Town makes provision for a social package of rebates and free basic services to indigent residents and pensioners each year. This is one of the ways in which the City’s Organisational Development and Transformation Plan strives to create a city in which the most vulnerable residents are accommodated and cared for.

The indigent grant forms part of the City’s Credit Control and Debt Collection Policy and was designed to assist struggling individuals, pensioners, businesses, people with disabilities, sports clubs, and non-profit organisations to continue to receive their basic City services such as water and refuse collection.‘We would like to remind our residents of the indigent grants available to them, especially during these tough economic times. We realise that qualifying individuals aren’t always aware of their rights and eligibility for grants, and want to ensure that residents who do qualify are receiving the financial assistance they need. The indigent grant is available to our tenants who rent a home from the City as well. If they are struggling to make monthly rental payments, the grant could help cover part of their costs,’ said the City’s Mayoral Committee Member for Finance, Councillor Johan van der Merwe.

Residents need to meet various criteria to be considered for the City’s indigent support, relating to the resident’s monthly salary, employment status, whether they are a senior citizen or a person with a disability, and whether they are a full-time occupant of their home.

‘Depending on the resident’s circumstances, if their property valuation is of R400 000 or less, and if they qualify for the grant, it is possible for some applicants to receive a 100% rebate on their property rates and to receive other basic services for free,’ said Councillor Van der Merwe.

In order for homeowners to apply for an indigent grant, they first need to register as an indigent with the City. Furthermore, on application, qualifying residents need to provide the identity documents of all those who live on the property, their latest municipal account, proof of income and expenses (including wage and pension receipts), as well as bank statements for the last three months.

Residents under the age of 60 need to reapply for this grant each year, while those over 60 need only apply once every three years within the General Valuation cycle

For more information on indigent grants and financial relief, residents are welcome to visit any one of the City walk-in centres or their nearest housing office, or to contact the City’s call centre on 0860 103 089.

It's only fair to share...Share on Facebook
Tweet about this on Twitter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News RUNNER UP in TWO categories! Lifestyle and Entertainment!
View My Stats