10 iconic moments from the #Zando10s
One of the world’s biggest and most popular social sport and entertainment festivals, the Zando Cape Town 10s, will be celebrating its 10th anniversary in February 2018! The annual event will return to Hamilton Rugby Club from 2 to 3 February 2018 and will feature a winning blend of the tried and tested sporting disciplines, plus four exciting new sporting codes.
With the 10th anniversary coming up, we thought we’d look back and highlight 10 of the most iconic moments. With so many to choose from over the years it was difficult to single out just 10, but here are some of the ones that stood out…
- A highlight was when arguably the worlds greatest rugby player of all time, Jonah Lomu made an honoured visit to the Cape Town 10s.https://twitter.com/capetown10s/status/564023804813271041
- UCT rugby player Doug Mallett (Nick Mallett’s son which explains the genes) hits the crossbar to win a brand new Golf GTI worth R360 000 at the 2012 event. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8tcihhij0w
- Taking challenges to a new level – in 2013 Ryan O’Connor challenged his then co-presenter Jeremy Harris to see if he could handle a tackle from English rugby legend Josh Lewsey live on air! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hl5SBqm1A4
- Another special moment would have to be the Haka led by former Kiwi rugby player, Carlos Spencer in 2014. Spencer did a riveting rendition of the world renowned pre match war cry with fellow rugby legends including 10s co-founders Bob and Rob andSamoan duo Zak Feaunati and Elvis Sevealii on the 10s main stage. Proving once again that sport, rugby and in this case 10s has the innate ability to unite all. http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Inpromptu-haka-at-CT-Tens-20140210
- Stormers Captain at the time, Duane Vermeulen was persuaded by a chanting crowd to sing Kaptein with Kurt Darren live on the main stage, just a day before he was named SA rugby player of the year 2015. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU8R61zkGQY
- Former Protea skipper Graeme Smith, SA’s most successful Captain in history traded his cricket bat for a rugby ball in 2015 and ran out for the International legends team to make his rugby debut. http://www.bizcommunity.com/Article/196/437/124489.html
- Carpool karaoke – just when you thought James Corden was the only one who could pull off a Carpool Karaoke, #Zando10s launched their 2017 music line up with their very own super funny version of KarPoel Karaoke #KPK featuring Robbie Fleck, Kurt Darren, Francois van Coke and many more familiar faces. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANLJqZxJXvA
- In 2017 Cape Town 10s introduced dodgeball with an ultra-cool video featuring comedian Rob van Vuuren, re-embodied as the local version of Ben Stiller from the epic Dodgeball movie and also featured cameos from some of the Mother City’s most popular media personalities. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0XqeYVgXsc&t=29s
- Against some steep competition in 2016, #Zando10s won the highly acclaimed Discovery Sports Award for the Best Live Experience in South Africa. http://www.sportindustry.co.za/events/awards/2016/winners
- Zando 10s has always focused on giving back and has maintained a great partnership with charities like the Chris Burger Petra Jackson Players Fund. They have also, since inception, hosted a pro-active and enriching coaching clinic with young players from various under-resourced communities across the Western Cape. In 2017 boys and girls from the CoolPlay project got to spend the day with some of their sporting heroes and gained valuable lessons on team culture and spirit at the same time. Zando 10s will be back in 2018 with 100 children who will spend the morning with some some of the biggest netball and rugby legends of the sporting world.